Let’s make an easy paper lantern craft! Paper Punch-Out Lanterns are a new twist to the standard paper lantern. Make these pretty paper lanterns at home or in the classroom. When you are done with your paper lantern craft, you will have lovely paper lanterns to hang all over the house!
Paper Lanterns Crafts For Kids
There are other ways to spice up paper lanterns, like this fun painted version. This paper punch-out version is still a kid-accessible craft, but this new look adds a touch of class and design. Paper lanterns would be great decorations for a party, kid’s room or outdoor BBQ.
When finished, these punch out paper lanterns are so cool! I always loved how paper lanterns looked and with the punch outs, the light filters through in a colorful and delicate way lighting up the night!
Choosing a Paper Punch for Your Paper Lantern Craft
I never knew that there were so many different paper punch designs until I tried this craft. I thought they were all the standard round punch. But we found flowers, butterflies, big circles, little circles. There are way more to choose from too! You can find hearts, snowflakes, stars, bugs, leaves, the list goes on!
This post contains affiliate links.
Related: This themed paper lantern craft is the perfect way to decorate!
Supplies Needed To Make Paper Lanterns
Instructions To Make Paper Lanterns with Punch Outs
Fold paper length-wise.
Cut slits along folded edge until about an inch away from the edge. Make sure the width of the slit is larger than the size of your mini-paper punches.
Using your paper punches, add punch out patterns. You can bunch designs along the slits or edge as desired.
Unfold lantern. Bring the two long ends together and staple in place.
Use a flameless tea light or candle to illuminate.
I hope you have a lot of fun creating unique paper lantern designs with your kids.
How To Use Paper Lanterns
These paper lanterns are totally safe for kids and for in their room because these tea light paper lanterns are actually flameless paper lanterns! You use LED tea lights instead of real candles.
Make these just because or you can use the as a party decoration! Whether you’re making them for home décor, a birthday party, wedding decorations, Chinese New Year, bridal shower, or a family party.
Paper lanterns require minimum craft supplies and are an affordable way to make home decor or decorate your next event.
You could even add LED lights inside of the lantern. Which is perfect if you’re celebrating a lantern festive, like which happens every year!
- -Colorful Paper
- -Mini Paper Punches
- Fold paper length-wise. Cut slits along folded edge until about an inch away from the edge. Make sure the width of the slit is larger than the size of your mini-paper punches.
- Bunch designs along the slits or edge as desired.
- Unfold lantern. Bring the two long ends together and staple in place.
- Use a flameless tea light or candle to illuminate.
Use These Into Beautiful Paper Lanterns For THe Chinese New Year
You can use the design for these paper lanterns to make Chinese lanterns or hanging lanterns.
- All you need to do is cut a long strip of paper, the same color of your paper, and tape one end on the top of the lantern, and the other end of the handle on the other side of the top.
- Then take glittered washi tape and tape around the top and bottom of the lantern.
- It’s best if you use red paper and gold glitter tape as these are the traditional colors. Red paper lanterns with gold are traditional for the Chinese New Years.
More Paper Crafts For Kids
- 15 Adorable Tissue Paper Craft
- Paper Mache Butterfly
- Make This Paper Rose Craft
- Tissue Paper Heart Bags
- How to make a paper house
- Looking for more crafts for kids? We have over 1000 you can choose from!
How did you paper lanterns turn out? Let us know in the comments we’d love to hear from you!