Today we are featuring our original LEGO mat for LEGO play and LEGO storage written before these were available to buy. I have updated it with some of the amazing LEGO storage bag and LEGO mat options that are now available…enjoy!
As you may have noticed, we are a little LEGO crazy around here. I love this project because if you don’t have the space for a dedicated LEGO table, this LEGO play mat is a great play and storage solution.
This article contains affiliate links.
DIY LEGO Storage Play Mat
To create your LEGO pick up and play mat, you will want to decide how large to make the area. This might depend on the age of your kids or the number of toys that will regularly be part of your set.
We use this for LEGO bricks, but your child’s favorite toy set would work as well!
- Sturdy fabric*
- Sewing Machine
*We chose a sturdy fabric that would stand up to hours and hours of wear. The standard width of a bolt of fabric is 45 inches, but many of the decorator fabrics used for upholstery and design are wider at 60 inches.
Instructions Based on Our Experience
Our fabric is a wider one cut into a circle with a 5 foot diameter.
My kids helped me figure out the length of the rope we would need by finding the circumference of a circle.
The circumference of a circle is it’s diameter times pi. See how we snuck a little math in there?
Since our circle has a diameter of 5 feet we found that we needed nearly 16 feet of rope to just go around the circle.
A 2 inch pocket was sewn around the circle edge and the rope was knotted and threaded through the pocket.
We tied the rope ends together and then trimmed off the ends.
The kids were excited to try it out. In no time, it was filled with LEGO bricks and half-created sculptures and buildings.
I love that at the end of play time, the rope can be pulled gathering up all the bricks inside and it can hang on a hook on the back of our entry closet door!
Play Mats with Drawstrings or Storage Baskets
Originally, I found this one activity playmat on Amazon that is similar in case sewing isn’t your thing. Over the years, more and more activity mats with toy storage have popped up in different configurations including a storage basket that works great in your play room or child’s room. Here are a few of my favorite products now available:
- Play & Go Drawstring Play Mat storage bag has adorable whimsical patterns for any decor.
- This black and white striped toy storage basket with play mat is big and durable.
- This large storage container has a window so you can see inside and comes with an attached play mat.
- And this is a more traditional play mat with draw string bag like we featured here in this article.
MORE TOY ORGANIZATION & FUN FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- We have the best toy storage ideas for those remaining toy items!
- How to make toys <–with less stuff around the house, kids will have time, energy and creativity to have some fun!
- Toy storage ideas for small spaces…yes, we mean even your small space!
- Homemade rubber band toys.
- And don’t miss these kids organization ideas.
Do you have a LEGO play mat with storage?