Sea Life Aquarium has unveiled their new Turtle Rescue Center which provides a permanent home for two non-releaseable endangered Kemp’s Ridley sea turtles, Roxy and Squirt. My son loves sea creatures but especially sea turtles so he could hardly wait to visit them as soon as the exhibit opened.
We watched the turtles for a long time as they swam around their tank. We learned a lot from the displays around the Turtle Rescue Center as well as the friendly Sea Life Aquarium staff who was more than happy to answer all of my son’s endless questions about the turtles.
Roxy was found stranded off Mustang Island Gulf Beach in 2007 after both left limbs were bitten off and her right limb suffered a large bite, limiting the mobility on her left side. Squirt was found stranded on the Padre Island National Seashore in 2009 after a boat strike caused paralysis of both rear flippers and a cracked shell, affecting his ability to dive. Due to the severity of their injuries, both turtles are unable to return to their natural habitat and will now live out the rest of their lives in the safety of Sea Life Aquarium.
The Turtle Rescue Center includes a very large display tank that was specially designed to the depth the turtles are able to safely dive based on their injuries. The tank has many windows around the sides so kids can easily watch the turtles dive and swim under the water. My son wasn’t the only kid who just hung out around the windows of the tank to see what the turtles would do next. But the tank is also open on the top so you can look down on the turtles and watch them as they come up for a breath of air. The exhibit really allows for an up close and personal look at these beautiful creatures.
We had a great time learning about sea turtles. My son is still talking about the exhibit not to mention all of the other great exhibits that we always enjoy when we visit Sea Life Aquarium. Haven’t been to Sea Life Aquarium yet? Check out the fun Holly and her kids had at their first visit to Sea Life Aquarium!
Sea Life Aquarium is located at Grapevine Mills Mall, 3000 Grapevine Mills Parkway in Grapevine. Their hours are Monday – Saturday 10:00 – 7:30 and Sunday 11:00 – 5:00. Discounted tickets can be purchased online at the Sea Life Aquarium website. (Children two and under are free!) For more information, please visit the Sea Life Aquarium website. You can also follow Sea Life Grapevine on Facebook.
Check out these specials below and plan a fun summer day with your kids at Sea Life Aquarium!
Enjoy complimentary admission for one child with the purchase of one adult admission to Sea Life Aquarium Grapevine and Legoland Discovery Center Dallas/Fort Worth by picking up a special coupon at several local retail, restaurant and attraction partners.
Coupons available at the following partners while supplies last:
- Mesquite Championship Rodeo: through Wednesday, July 31
- Hawaiian Falls: through Wednesday, July 31
- Jason's Deli: through Wednesday, July 31
- Summerfest at the Gaylord Texan: through Saturday, August 31
- Chick-fil-A: Monday, July 8 – Monday, August 5
- Medieval Times: through Saturday, August 31
- Indoor Soccer Zone: through Saturday, August 31
- Six Flags Over Texas: through Saturday, August 31
*All coupons expire 12/31/13.
Other online-only summer savings include:
- 4 for $48 Family Saver: Purchase a special online-only $48 family saver deal that includes admission to one attraction for two adults and two children with priority entry, valid after 3 p.m. Monday – Sunday. Promotion ends July 28.
- After 5 p.m. Ticket: Purchase special online-only discounted tickets to either attraction for visits after 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. LEGOLAND Discovery Center tickets: $12.50 per adult and $9.75 per child. SEA LIFE Aquarium tickets: $12.50 per adult and per child.