Don't take your dreams to the grave! There may be more dreams in the graveyard than those fully lived out and brought to life. I don't have any proof this is true but I do know many women who are not living their dreams today. If tomorrow never came, that's exactly what would happen to their dreams, they ™d be laid to rest and never lived. I ™m pretty confident in saying fear is the number one reason dreams never come to fruition. So what is a dream really? Is it an illusion, a hope yet to be experienced or something we have the power to make tangible in our lives?
Dreams are simply the desires of your heart. Dreams are your visions of how you want to be, how you want to live and how you want to show up in your life. There are no rules to dreaming. There is no right or wrong way to dream. When you dream you allow yourself to imagine what you want, desire and need in your life. Some say nothing comes to sleepers but a dream, I say if that's true we need to schedule moments to get quiet, fall asleep and dream the biggest dreams possible.
Dreaming is the easy part so to speak, making them or allowing them to become real presents more of a challenge. What's fairly common is people are afraid to fail. They are afraid to take steps to fulfill their dreams because the inner critic whispers in their ear what if my dreams don't come true? They listen to this voice, give it power and thus fail to dream and take action. There are others who fail to dream because they fear success. When you reach a place of success there are some unspoken expectations of how you should be and how you should live your life. Many people avoid striving for this place of success because they believe they cannot meet these expectations. You can see what happens when you fear failure, you do not take steps forward and when you fear success you avoid making your dreams a reality.
So how do you begin to go from dreams feared to fulfilling your dreams? Here a few action steps you can take now to courageously begin to live your dreams.
- Dreaming is your birth right. Dare to dream and go ahead and dream as big as possible as often as you like.
- Be mindful to not allow others to define any part of your dreams. It's your life so create your dreams based on what you need, want and desire.
- Don't put limits on your dreams. Bringing your dreams to life is a process and a journey you should anticipate and enjoy instead of dreading each step.
- Accept that failure and success will be a part of bringing your dreams to life. Failure is simply an opportunity to retool, refocus, recharge and start again. Failure is a life lesson that teaches you what you want and what you don't want. Failure sheds light on what works and doesn’t work for you and shows you how strong, wise and brave you are.
- Write your dreams down, create a dream board, take steps everyday to bring your dream one step closer to fruition. Believe you have the power to bring them to life and own your ability to be the creator of your life.
- Accept that you will experience fear on the journey of bringing your dreams to life. Embrace those fears, don't run from them, face them and look for the past and current proof that you can conquer those fears.
- Make a choice! Choose to keep your dreams buried within or step out of your comfort zone and take inspired action to manifest your dreams and live a fulfilled life. Focus less on the outcomes, enjoy the journey, laugh at yourself, take risks, trust that you deserve to live your dreams and do it afraid if you have to.
The truth about fear is that it will always be a part of your life. The truth about fear is that it is a most often a future state of mind. The truth about fear is that the best weapon against it is love. The truth about fear is that it is powerful beyond measure. The final truth about fear is that love of yourself, love of life, love for other people and love for the world can diminish the power of fear and afford you more peace, joy, ease and grace in your life. The truth about you is that you can choose to be fearless by doing more than dreaming you can begin living your dreams.
If you are ready to live brave be sure to pick up your copy of The Art of Fear-Free Living today. www.theartoffearfreeliving.com
Catrice M. Jackson, M.S., LMHP, LPC
International Empowerment Speaker & Global Visionary Leader of the Get NAKED Movement
Author of The Art of Fear-Free Living and Delicious! The Savvy Woman's Guide for Living a Sweet, Sassy and Satisfied Life