You have to try this painting pancakes activity! This is colorful art you can eat and it is fun for kids of all ages. Toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary aged kids will love eating this art. Explore colors with this painting pancakes activity. Perfect edible craft for at home or in the classroom.
Painting Pancakes Activity
This is a really easy edible art project…Super easy and super fun! You can explore colors using pancakes and food coloring and make beautiful pictures on your pancakes.
Instead of boring plain old syrup on your pancakes, why not paint them! I was surprised by painting their pancakes the kids actually used less syrup than when they drizzled their pancakes or dipped bites in a syrup puddle.
This activity actually makes pancakes a more healthy alternative! You can also use honey instead of syrup.
This post contains affiliate links.
Related: Homemade pancake mix recipe
Supplies Needed To Make Painting Pancakes
What you’ll need:
Painting Pancakes Edible Craft
Make pancakes using the pancake mix. All you need to do is mix the pancake mix. 1 Cup mix to 3/4 cups of water will make 4-6 pancakes with this particular mix.
Put a skillet on the stove on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
Ladle out some pancake mix on the stove until it bubbles then flip it over.
Repeat until all the pancakes are made.
Add some food coloring to cups along with syrup.
Give the paintbrushes to your kids and let your kids paint on their pancakes.
Our Experience With Painting Pancakes
We used an egg carton to “hold the paint” as it doesn’t tip easily, holds small portions of syrup and, most importantly, is disposable! I love art projects with easy clean-up!
Add 3 drops or so to roughly a tablespoon of syrup and have fun painting and eating your breakfast. Of course, once you start this, pancake breakfasts will never be the same!
As you can see, it was more exploring colors than actual pictures. And that’s okay, it helps kids practice their fine motor skills and explore with their imagination.
- Food Coloring
- Plastic Cups
- Unused Paintbrushes
- Pancakes (Using Pancake mix)
- Make pancakes using the pancake mix. All you need to do is mix the pancake mix. 1 Cup mix to 3/4 cups of water will make 4-6 pancakes with this particular mix.
- Put a skillet on the stove on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Ladle out some pancake mix on the stove until it bubbles then flip it over.
- Repeat until all the pancakes are made.
- Add some food coloring to cups along with syrup.
- Give the paintbrushes to your kids and let your kids paint on their pancakes.
More Fun Painting and Edible Crafts From Kids Activities Blog
- For other painting fun, check out our bathtub paint recipe or finger painting with shaving cream!
- Try coloring these cookies! These edible crafts are fun and colorful!
- How cool and colorful are these edible paints made from Fruit Loops.
- Did you know you can paint with honey, mustard, ketchup, and ranch?
- You have to try these Grinch pancakes! They’re delicious.
- Wow, look at this fun homemade edible finger paint recipe.
- Your kids will love this edible mud sensory play.
- How about 6 Shadow Art Ideas?
And for more pancakes check out this long list of pancake recipes!
How did your kids like this painting pancaked edible craft?