As part of the Multicultural Fund, Macy's and Go Red developed the Multicultural Scholarship Program with the goal of increasing the number of minority women in the healthcare profession. This year, the Go Red Multicultural Scholarship Fund will award 16 scholarships of $2,500 each ($40,000 total) to qualifying applicants.
She Is Dallas Info: The qualifications for the Go Red Multicultural Scholarship Fund include:
- Female of Hispanic, African-American, Asian/Pacific Islander or American Indian/Alaskan Native heritage.
- U.S. citizen/permanent resident of the U.S.
- Attending an accredited college or university in the U.S. and currently in her freshman or sophomore year
- Pursuing a career in healthcare (nursing, biology, etc.)
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
For more information or to apply for this scholarship, please visit the Multicultural Scholarship Fund website.
Application submissions for 2012 scholarships will be accepted through Nov. 30, 2011. Scholarship recipients will be notified in January 2012. The 16 winners will be announced in February 2012. All notifications are final. Winners will be expected to complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service during the year of funding. Service at or for the American Heart Association qualifies.
Scholarship awards will be distributed in August 2012 to coincide with the Fall 2012 semester. Funds may be used for tuition, books and fees
A review committee will select finalists based on:
- Academic achievement
- Community involvement
- Two letters of recommendation – one from an educator and one from a community service organization, employer, clergy or coach. Qualities such as maturity, motivation, self-confidence, leadership, commitment and potential for success should be addressed.
- Personal essay “ 1- to 2-page document explaining why you want to pursue a career in healthcare and what this scholarship would mean to you. Please demonstrate your involvement in your community and how your heritage and/or community has influenced your life.