I’m not always super enthusiastic about meals that have me spending a lot of time at a hot oven, or stove. The beauty of this Sesame Seared Tuna Recipe, is that it’s super quick and only requires heat briefly! It’s one of our families absolute favorite meals- and takes virtually no time to prepare!
Sesame Seared Tuna Recipe
Ingredients for Sesame Tuna
- (2) Thickly cut Ahi sushi grade Tuna steaks. (Tip: You can ask your seafood grocer to cut you a piece fresh from the whole fish they have in the back, rather than taking a pre-cut piece of tuna that may be looking sad on ice in their case.)
- Canola or sesame oil
- Black Sesame seeds
- A bed of greens
Instructions for Sesame Tuna
- (optional) Marinate your Tuna steaks in sesame oil and soy sauce for a few hours ahead of searing
- heat a frying pan to high heat
- spread black sesame seeds on a plate
- put tuna in the sesame seeds and coat all sides of the tuna, add more or less sesame seeds to your taste
- Add a drip of canola oil in hot pan. Then place tuna steak in, and leave until you see the cooked tuna get about 1/3rd of the way up the fillet. (2 or 3 minutes)
- flip tuna and let sear for another 2-3 minutes, or until there is more cooked tuna than pink in the middle of the fillet, as seen above.
- turn tuna onto pan to sear rest of sides (about 10 seconds each)
- Slice Tuna on the bias:)
How to make the Sesame dipping sauce/dressing
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Mix together and drizzle over tuna or use as a side dipping sauce!