Looking for a fun and kid-friendly way to celebrate the 4th of July? This easy Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats recipe is simple and festive! It’s an engaging way to get your little ones involved with celebrating the holiday and they get to enjoy a yummy dessert, too.
A Fun 4th of July Activity For Kids
These red, white, and blue rice krispie treats are perfect for a cookout with family and friends. You and your kiddos can make them together turning it into an activity to keep them entertained while also getting them excited to taste the treats when they’re ready! We also love Patriotic Oreo Cookies as well.
The best thing about this recipe is that there is little cook time. Once all of the ingredients have come together on the stove, your kids can get in on the fun of making the star shapes and decorating. We love cookie decorating during Christmas time as a family and these 4th of July rice krispie treats give us the chance to do that again in the summer. If it’s an especially hot day, we also enjoy Red, White, and Blue Covered Strawberries.
Related: 4th of July Cupcakes
How to Make Easy Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
This fun rice krispie treats recipe is one of the easiest no-bake desserts ever. I love sharing this recipe with others because it’s very nostalgic. I remember eating rice krispie treats often growing up and you can’t beat the taste of the homemade version. The smell of the melted marshmallows and vanilla, once they are mixed, is enough to make anyone hungry. Plus, there are only 4 ingredients!
Ingredients Needed to Make 4th of July Rice Krispie Treats
- Butter – Unsalted is best for this recipe.
- Marshmallows – 10 oz is perfect. I recommend regular-sized marshmallows.
- Vanilla extract
- Rice krispie cereal
Instructions for Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
Melt butter in a large saucepan.
Stir in marshmallows and melt over medium-low heat.
Tip: Make sure you stir often to keep the marshmallows from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. This mixture will be ready to go once it’s smooth.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and add vanilla extract and rice cereal. Stir until well combined.
Spread the rice krispie mixture onto a baking sheet and let it set for about 5 minutes.
Tip: I use a 10×15 rimmed baking sheet. Letting it set makes it slightly firm but still easy to cut.
Using star-shaped cookie cutters, cut out the treats and place them on a baking sheet. Insert a stick into the bottom of each one.
Add the sprinkles to small bowls for easy access.
In small microwave-safe bowls, melt separately red and blue candy melts. Stir until smooth.
Tip: This won’t take too long, depending on the amount of candy melts you are melting.
Transfer the melted chocolate into piping bags.
Tip: This is optional but makes drizzling easier and not as messy.
Drizzle the colored chocolate over the rice krispie treats and then immediately add sprinkles.
Tip: If you are not quick the chocolate will set and the sprinkles won’t stick!
Let them set for about 10 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
Tie a ribbon around the stick to make a fun wand for the kids.
Store them an in airtight container until you’re ready to enjoy them.
Tip: Make sure they are in a single layer so the decorations don’t rub off.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR THESE PATRIOTIC RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Can I make these Rice Krispie Treats ahead of time?
Yes, once they are cooled and set, store them in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Can I use a different type of cereal besides rice krispies?
Yes, you can a different type of cereal, but keep in mind that the texture and consistency of the treats may be different.
Where can I buy colored candy melts for decorating the Rice Krispie Treats?
You can easily find the candy melts at craft stores, or Walmart near the cake decorating supplies. You can also find them on Amazon and other online stores.
How do I prevent the Rice Krispie Treats from getting too hard?
Be sure to not overcooked the marshmallow mixture. Once the marshmallows and butter are melted and smooth, remove the pot from the heat and immediately add the cereal.
Can I use this Rice Krispie Treats Recipe for other occasions?
Yes, any shape of cookie cutter will work for this recipe.
More 4th of July Fun From Kids Activities Blog
- These Easy Red, White, and Blue Tie Dye Shirts are the perfect patriotic craft for kids and adults of all ages to make.
- If you love desserts, you can check 24 Yummy Red White, and Blue Recipes for more fun ideas.
- Learning about the significance of Independence Day is important for kids, too. They can do this in a way that’s fun and engaging with Free Printable 4th of July Facts and History Pages that they can read and color.
- A refreshing 4th of July Dessert Trifle made with fresh berries is perfect for the holiday or any day during the summer.
or try these fun fudge recipes!
Let us know below if you tried this recipe with your kiddos to celebrate Independence Day!
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (10 oz) bag (about 40 regular size) marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- Red candy melts
- Blue candy melts
- Patriotic sprinkles
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter
- Add marshmallows and cook over medium-low heat until completely melted, stirring often
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract
- Add marshmallow mixture to cereal and stir until combined well
- Spread evenly into a 10x15 rimmed baking sheet
- Let sit for about 5 minutes. You want the mixture to be set but easy to cut.
- Cut with star shaped cookie cutters, and place on baking sheet
- Insert stick into bottom of star
- Add sprinkles to small bowls for ease in adding quickly
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat about ½ cup of red candy melts for 1 minute
- Stir and continue cooking for 20-30 seconds until the chocolate is almost completely melted
- Stir until smooth
- Repeat with blue candy melts
- Transfer melted chocolate to icing bag, this is optional but it’s the easiest way to drizzle the chocolate
- Drizzle chocolate over the stars and immediately add sprinkles
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes or until completely hardened
- Add ribbon to make a fun wand for the kids
- Store in a single layer in an airtight container
The amount of stars you get from this recipe will depend on the size of your cutter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
If you’re looking for more Rice Krispie Recipes, we have a whole list here!