Let’s make DIY Valentine cards with a scrap yarn heart!
Don’t throw away your yarn scraps, let the kids use them to make these bright and colorful DIY yarn heart cards that are perfect for any occasion.
These yarn heart cards are perfect for Valentine’s Day, but who wouldn’t love to receive them on their birthday or any other day too? This is a very inexpensive craft to make if you have yarn scraps at home. It’s also a fun craft project for all ages from kids through to adults.
How to Make YARN HEART CARDs
This is a fun project for kids and adults to make together. For kids, this is a wonderful way to work on their fine motor skills as they attach the yarn onto the card spiraling around the heart. Younger kids who cannot spiral the yarn can attach small pieces of yarn inside the heart with glue. We even have free printable gift tags and cards to get you started.
Supplies needed to make yarn heart cards
- Scraps of yarn
- Our printable cards – mini heart gift tags and large heart cards
- Glue stick
Instructions for making yarn heart cards
Download and print our heart cards onto cardstock. There are two options to choose from. The small gift tags are perfect for older kids and adults. The larger cards will be easier for little fingers to work with, but they are great for all ages too.
Put glue all over the heart using the glue stick.
Using one piece of yarn at a time start with the bottom point of the heart and spiral the yarn around the edge of the heart and then inwards toward the center.
Make sure to press the yarn down occasionally to ensure it’s sticking properly on the glue.
Continue this process changing colors as each piece of scrap yarn ends.
Craft tip: Make all of your hearts one color, or make them bright and colorful like we did.
Craft tip 2: Use a hole punch to add a hole into the top left corner of the small gift tags. Put yarn through the hole to attach the gift tag to a gift.
Our Finished DIY VALENTINE CARDS
- Yarn scraps
- Our free printable card templates
- Download and print the heart cards, you have two options available.
- Put glue all over the heart using a glue stick.
- Swirl the yarn around the heart beginning from the outside and working into the center.
More yarn crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- Make this beautiful colorful rainbow art using yarn.
- An easy yarn-wrapped craft stick caterpillar craft for kids.
- A letter ‘Y’ yarn craft.
- We have a round-up of 15 fantastic yarn crafts for kids to make.
- These yarn coasters are made from scraps of yarn.
- Use yarn and golf tees to make shapes.
- Use yarn and sticky not to make a fun map game.
Do your kids love yarn crafts? What are their favorite scrap yarn projects?