Do you struggle with insomnia? Do you have trouble falling asleep at night, or find that you fall asleep quickly but can’t stay asleep? Do you toss and turn all night, or wake up too early and find yourself unable to fall back to sleep? Whatever your situation, it’s likely there are essential oils to help you fall asleep.
We already know lavender essential oil is one of the best essential oils to get a good sleep quality night, but there are other ones that will help you get a better sleep with just a few drops of essential oil!
How to get a good night’s sleep with popular essential oils
Sleep disorders suck, we know! However, the good news is that there are natural remedies to help both older adults and kids of all ages that struggle having a restful sleep get over sleepless nights with ease.
As a matter of fact, a healthy sleep is important for absolutely everyone! This is how our sleep cycle works: When we enter REM sleep (deeper sleep), our brain waves and deep breaths tend to slow down which helps you feel refreshed on the next day. Besides, a good night sleep helps reduce cortisol levels and lower blood pressure – health benefits we all need.
Essential oils have been used since ancient times for several reasons, such as enjoying their sedative properties, soothing scent, or even reduce an allergic reaction . There are different oils that produce a natural remedy for sleeping, like bergamot oil, jasmine oil, sandalwood oil, ylang-ylang oil, valerian essential oil – all of them help produce a calming effect with a delicious earthy scent.
We love using our essential oil diffuser with one (or our own essential oil blends) while drinking a cup of chamomile tea after a long day.
ESSENTIAL OILS TO HELP YOU FALL ASLEEP
- Lavender – Most of us already know that lavender oil is helpful for sleep. It’s found in many sleep aids and lotions that you can get over the counter. It’s no big surprise then that lavender essential oils can be a great way for sleep and relaxation.
- Roman Chamomile – Roman chamomile essential oil is well known for its soothing, calming, and relaxing properties. It’s great to include as part of your nightly routine, to help you relax and unwind at the end of a long day.
- Ylang Ylang – This floral scent is great for improving the quality of your sleep. It can help you get enough sleep each night, feeling more refreshed in the morning.
- Sandalwood – This oil has a rich, woodsy scent and it’s great for helping you fall asleep. You can use it alone, or as part of a sleep blend.
- Marjoram – While marjoram is popular for cooking, that’s not the only thing it’s good for. It can also help you relax your muscles and joints and get a more peaceful night of sleep.
- Cedarwood – Here’s another woodsy oil that blends well with sandalwood, or it can be used alone. It will help you relax your brain at the end of a long day and it can help you improve the quality of your sleep.
Now that you know what oils to use, do you know how to use them to help with sleep? Just like using essential oils for other purposes, there are different ways you can use them. Let’s take a look:
So, one of the most obvious ways to use them is topical. You will need to use a carrier oil to dilute them before putting them directly on your skin. Some people also like to make their own lotion out of the oil that helps them relax and sleep.
To receive the benefits of essential oils aromatically you must inhale the scent. Most commonly this is done by diffusing the oils in an essential oil diffuser. Other ways you can do this is by dabbing the scent on a kleenex or something else that you can bring to your nose and inhale.
We hope that you find these essential oils help with your quality of sleep. What works for one person may not work for another so it’s important that you experiment to see what works for you. Also, the essential oils to help you fall asleep right now might not work as well in a few months or years from now. You may need to mix up.
WANT MORE SLEEPING TIPS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG?
- Here are ways to keep toddler in crib for hours of good sleep.
- Check out our list of oils that promote sleep.
- This is why wearing goodnites will help your kiddos sleep better.
- I totally need one of these camping bunk beds!
- Kids will love making & using these DIY bath fizzies.
What did you think of these essential oils to help you fall asleep? Did you try them?