Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with these Classic Irish Recipes!
These recipes are for anyone who wants authentic Irish dishes to celebrate this fun holiday. Well, authentic AND delicious! These dishes are kid approved, for sure.
Classic Irish Recipes
Your meal could include soda bread, shepherd’s pie, colcannon, and, of course, classic corned beef with cabbage. Close your eyes, breathe in the smells of these savory dishes, and imagine you are on a cozy vacation to Ireland.
5 Classic Irish Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day
Don’t have all the ingredients you need? No problem! We’ve got you covered and can help you get everything you need to try out these amazing St. Patrick’s day recipes. (This post contains affiliate links).
Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
Ingredients To Make Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread:
- 1/2 cup Shortening, melted
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- An Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- A cup of Raisins
- 1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
How To Make Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread:
St. Patrick’s Day wouldn’t be the same without Burnt Macaroni‘s recipe for Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
Classic Irish Shepherd’s Pie Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
Ingredients To Make Shephard’s Pie:
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 5 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 2 Tablespoons Browning and Seasoning Sauce
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 oz. Margarine
- An Onion, chopped
- 1 oz. Flour
- 2 cups Beef Consomme
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie:
- Start by preheating the oven to 400°.
- Next, cook potatoes in boiling water, until soft. Drain the water and mash the potatoes with the milk and butter.
- Then, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. When the meat is almost cooked through, add the onion and garlic until all is cooked.
- In a small pan, melt the margarine and stir in the flour, cook until dark brown (8-10 minutes).
- Let cool, and stir in the consomme, ketchup, and browning and seasoning sauce. Simmer until thick.
- Next, add the sauce to the ground beef and mix.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, and then top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and potatoes are browned.
Authentic Colcannon Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
Ingredients To Make Authentic Colcannon:
- 1/2 head Cabbage, chopped
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 slices Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
How To Make Authentic Colcannon:
- First, cook potatoes in boiling water until soft, and then drain the water and mash the potatoes in the milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, drain, and then set aside.
- Next, saute the cabbage and onion in the bacon drippings, until soft.
- Then, in a large bowl, fold in the bacon, cabbage, and onions into the mashed potatoes. Add the melted butter, and serve.
Corned Beef and Cabbage–The Classic St. Patrick’s Day Recipe
Ingredients To Make Corned Beef And Cabbage:
- 2 1/2 lbs. Corned Beef Brisket
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- An Onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 head Cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 5 Potatoes, quartered
- 4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
How To Make Corned Beef And Cabbage:
- First, in a dutch oven, add the brisket, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion, bay leaves, and salt. Fill with water to cover everything, plus one inch.
- Then, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any residue that floats to the top.
- Next, reduce heat to a simmer, and then cook 2 to 3 hours (you want the meat to pull apart easily).
- Once the meat is done, add cabbage, potatoes, and carrots into the liquid (make sure everything is covered with liquid).
- then, simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are done.
- Stir in butter and parsley, and then remove from the heat.
- Next, remove the meat and place on a serving dish. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the veggies and place in bowl, until the meat has rested.
- Serve with the juices from the meat.
Authentic Apple Cake For St. Patrick’s Day
Ingredients Needed To Make This Authentic Apple Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- confectioners sugar
How To Make This Authentic Apple Cake For St. Patrick’s Day:
Make a sweet dessert after enjoying your other classic Irish recipes with The View From Great Island’s apple cake recipe.
St. Patrick’s Day Recipes and Crafts
- 25 St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Printables
- Edible Rainbow Craft:A Healthy St/ Patrick’s Day Snack!
- Handprint Leprechaun Craft for St. Patrick’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day Mint Shake
- Over 100 St. Patrick’s Day Crafts and Activities
- Shamrock Eggs Recipe
Looking for more St. Patrick’s day recipes and activities?
What was your favorite dish? Do you serve any other Irish classics for your St. Patrick’s Day meal? Leave a comment to let us know!