5 Fantastic Classic Irish Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day
Today we have a complete menu of traditional St Patricks Day food so you can celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with easy Classic Irish Recipes! These recipes are for anyone who wants authentic Irish dishes that are both authentic, delicious and kid-approved!
St. Patrick’s Day Traditional Dishes you Can make
Our easy to make Irish inspired meal includes traditional Irish favorites like soda bread, shepherd’s pie, colcannon and (of course) classic corned beef with cabbage. Close your eyes, breathe in the smells of these savory dishes, and imagine you are on a cozy vacation to Ireland.
While we have put this authentic Irish recipe menu together for St Patricks Day, it is a great dinner solution year round.
This article contains affiliate links.
1. Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
Start the celebration with authentic soda bread. This Irish soda bread variation is easy to make, don’t worry!
Ingredients Needed To Make Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread:
- 1/2 cup Shortening, melted
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- An Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- A cup of Raisins
- 1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
Directions to Make Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients starting at the top of the list.
- Fold the raisins into the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg and melted shortening.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until it forms a stiff dough.
- Roughly form a loaf and place in a loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 for 1 hour, then cool.
St. Patrick’s Day wouldn’t be the same without Burnt Macaroni‘s recipe for Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread! You can grab more insight into this Irish side dish and see the step by step instructions there.
2. Classic Irish Shepherd’s Pie Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
When you say St. Patrick’s Day entree, the first dish that comes to mind is the shepherd’s pie. The history goes way back, but this classic recipe keeps on winning hearts (and tummies!).
Ingredients Needed To Make Shepherd’s Pie:
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 5 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 2 Tablespoons Browning and Seasoning Sauce
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 oz. Margarine
- An Onion, chopped
- 1 oz. Flour
- 2 cups Beef Consomme
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie:
- Start by preheating the oven to 400°.
- Next, cook potatoes in boiling water, until soft. Drain the water and mash the potatoes with the milk and butter.
- Then, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. When the meat is almost cooked through, add the onion and garlic until all is cooked.
- In a small pan, melt the margarine and stir in the flour, cook until dark brown (8-10 minutes).
- Let cool, and stir in the consomme, ketchup, and browning and seasoning sauce. Simmer until thick.
- Next, add the sauce to the ground beef and mix.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, and then top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and potatoes are browned.
3. Authentic Colcannon Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
This colcannon recipe is a really great Irish side dish. It’s flavorful, it’s easy to make, and it’s really special.
Ingredients Needed To Make Authentic Colcannon:
- 1/2 head Cabbage, chopped
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 slices Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
How To Make Authentic Colcannon:
- First, cook potatoes in boiling water until soft, and then drain the water and mash the potatoes in the milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, drain, and then set aside.
- Next, saute the cabbage and onion in the bacon drippings, until soft.
- Then, in a large bowl, fold in the bacon, cabbage, and onions into the mashed potatoes. Add the melted butter, and serve.
4. Corned Beef and Cabbage–The Classic St. Patrick’s Day Recipe
Now, this corned beef and cabbage recipe is the main course! Be ready to find your house full of the savory scent of corned beef!
Ingredients Needed To Make Corned Beef & Cabbage:
- 2 1/2 lbs. Corned Beef Brisket
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- An Onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 head Cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 5 Potatoes, quartered
- 4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
How To Make Corned Beef & Cabbage:
- First, in a dutch oven, add the brisket, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion, bay leaves, and salt. Fill with water to cover everything, plus one inch.
- Then, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any residue that floats to the top.
- Next, reduce heat to a simmer, and then cook 2 to 3 hours (you want the meat to pull apart easily).
- Once the meat is done, add cabbage, potatoes, and carrots into the liquid (make sure everything is covered with liquid).
- then, simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are done.
- Stir in butter and parsley, and then remove from the heat.
- Next, remove the meat and place on a serving dish. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the veggies and place in bowl, until the meat has rested.
- Serve with the juices from the meat.
5. Authentic Apple Cake For St. Patrick’s Day
A St. Patrick’s day meal will never be complete without a slice of authentic apple cake. The scent just brings comfort, and the real apple flavors are the best!
Ingredients Needed To Make Apple Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- confectioners sugar
Directions to Make Irish Apple Cake
Make a sweet dessert after enjoying your other classic Irish recipes. Grab the step by step instructions from Great Island’s apple cake recipe.
St. Patrick’s Day Recipes and Crafts
- Irish Beef Stew Recipe
- 25 St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Printables
- Edible Rainbow Craft:A Healthy St/ Patrick’s Day Snack!
- Handprint Leprechaun Craft for St. Patrick’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day Mint Shake
- Over 100 St. Patrick’s Day Crafts and Activities
- Shamrock Eggs Recipe
Looking for more St. Patrick’s day recipes and activities?
What was your favorite dish? Do you serve any other Irish classics for your St. Patrick’s Day meal? Leave a comment to let us know!
Thanks for sharing! That irish shepards pie looks to-die-for!