St. Patrick’s Day is the day when everyone is Irish! Celebrate with 5 Classic Irish Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day!
5 Classic Irish Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day
This post contains affiliate links.
Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
- 1/2 cup Shortening, melted
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- An Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- A cup of Raisins
- 1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
St. Patrick’s Day wouldn’t be the same without Burnt Macaroni‘s recipe for Grandma’s Irish Soda Bread! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
Irish Shepherd’s Pie
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 5 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 2 Tablespoons Browning and Seasoning Sauce
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 oz. Margarine
- An Onion, chopped
- 1 oz. Flour
- 2 cups Beef Consomme
- Start by preheating the oven to 400°.
- Next, cook potatoes in boiling water, until soft. Drain the water and mash the potatoes with the milk and butter.
- Then, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. When the meat is almost cooked through, add the onion and garlic until all is cooked.
- In a small pan, melt the margarine and stir in the flour, cook until dark brown (8-10 minutes).
- Let cool, and stir in the consomme, ketchup, and browning and seasoning sauce. Simmer until thick.
- Next, add the sauce to the ground beef and mix.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, and then top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and potatoes are browned.
Colcannon Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
- 1/2 head Cabbage, chopped
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 slices Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- First, cook potatoes in boiling water until soft, and then drain the water and mash the potatoes in the milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, drain, and then set aside.
- Next, saute the cabbage and onion in the bacon drippings, until soft.
- Then, in a large bowl, fold in the bacon, cabbage, and onions into the mashed potatoes. Add the melted butter, and serve.
Corned Beef and Cabbage–The Classic St. Patrick’s Day Recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs. Corned Beef Brisket
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- An Onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 head Cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 5 Potatoes, quartered
- 4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- First, in a dutch oven, add the brisket, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion, bay leaves, and salt. Fill with water to cover everything, plus one inch.
- Then, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any residue that floats to the top.
- Next, reduce heat to a simmer, and then cook 2 to 3 hours (you want the meat to pull apart easily).
- Once the meat is done, add cabbage, potatoes, and carrots into the liquid (make sure everything is covered with liquid).
- then, simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are done.
- Stir in butter and parsley, and then remove from the heat.
- Next, remove the meat and place on a serving dish. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the veggies and place in bowl, until the meat has rested.
- Serve with the juices from the meat.
Some of Our Favorite Kitchen Products
One of our favorite parts of cooking, is playing with new kitchen gadgets! Here are some of our must-have items, which would also make wonderful holiday gifts for the foodies on your list!
- Fresh Baby Ice Cube Trays with lids
- The I Heart Naptime Cookbook by Jamielyn Nye
- Individual Popcorn bowls
- VillaWare Uno Classic Waffle Maker
- Giant Popcorn bowl
- VillaWare Farmyard Waffle Maker
- Taco Holder
- Pizza Peel
- Hand Blender
- Pizza Wheel (cutter)
- Pyrex Baking Dishes
- Pizza Stone
- Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Double Burner Reversible Grill/Griddle
- Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Saute Pan with Helper Handle and Cover
- BPA free lunch containers
- Egg Rite Egg Timer
- Fit and Fresh container
- One Touch Electric Bottle Opener
- Half Pint Wide Mouth Mason Jars
- Ninja Professional Blender
- Zoku Quick Pop Maker
- Plano Half-Size Stowaway with Adjustable Dividers – for road trip snacks
- Curious Chef 3-Piece Nylon Knife Set
- Cuisinart 2 Quart Ice Cream Maker
- Victorinox Fibrox Straight Edge Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch
- Lemon Squeezer
- Mason Jars
- Apple Corer
- Popcorn Bowl
- MaxiMatic double burner hot plate
- Glass Egg carton
- Black & Decker 4 slice toaster
- Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer
- Meat Mallet
- Ice Cream or Cookie Scooper
- Norpro Butter Keeper
- 3-Piece Veggie Peeler
- Garlic Press
St. Patrick’s Day Recipes and Crafts
- 25 St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Printables
- Edible Rainbow Craft:A Healthy St/ Patrick’s Day Snack!
- Handprint Leprechaun Craft for St. Patrick’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day Mint Shake
- Over 100 St. Patrick’s Day Crafts and Activities
- Shamrock Eggs Recipe
Do you cook/ bake anything special for St. Patrick’s Day? Comment below!