Have you ever made bread with your children? It’s such a satisfying thing to bake and so well suited to children as the dough is robust enough to withstand their enthusiastic handling. This easy bread recipe is a really good one to use with kids. It’s almost a no-knead recipe, with just thirty kneads required, so it won’t tire out young arms!
Easy bread recipe for kids
To make one large loaf of bread you will need:
4 cups / 500g strong white bread flour
1 1/2 cups /300ml warm water
1 sachet ( 7g or 1 1/2 teaspoons) fast action dried yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
To make your loaf:
1. Measure out all the ingredients into a large bowl and combine them together using 30 kneading movements.
2. Leave for 10 minutes then knead again using 30 movements. My kids like to use the kitchen timer to sound the alarm when the next round of kneading is required.
3. Leave for another 10 minutes then knead again using 30 movements.
4. Leave the dough in a warm place for 30 minutes, with a clean cloth covering the top of the bowl.
5. Then knead lightly and shape the dough into a round. Place it on a greased baking tray.
6. Leave for another 30 minutes in a warm place* and pre-heat the oven to 450F (Gas Mark 8). (*on top of the pre-heating oven is perfect)
7. Bake the bread for 20-25 minutes.
Give your bread a twist
My daughters love to customize their bread and make their own variations on an ordinary loaf. We often set up a baking station on the kitchen table with extra ingredients for them to mix in to the dough to make sweet and savory versions. You could try raisins, candied cherries, ground cinnamon, dried thyme and oregano. They also like to use cookie cutters to make their bread into different shapes and sometimes make letters with the dough too.
Do you bake bread with your kids? Do you have a recipe to share?
Powered by Sidelines
Check out these other easy recipes for kids: