Broccoli cheese cakes (important to keep those words separate!) are a fun way to serve vegetables to your kids. We love this meal from this subscription meal plan service, and if you sign up, use the code KAB20 for 20% off your entire order.
Ingredients for Broccoli Cheese Cakes
- 1 medium – russet potato
- 1 cup – broccoli, florets
- 1/2 cup – cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup – panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1 large – egg
- 1/8 teaspoon – garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon – onion powder
- 1 tablespoon – olive oil
Directions for Broccoli Cheese Cakes
- Peel potato and chop into cubes. Place into a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the steamer pot and steam for an additional 2 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender. Remove from pot and allow to cool.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl and chop the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces.
- Add the broccoli, cheese, 3 Tbsp of the panko, salt, egg, garlic powder, and onion powder to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the remaining panko in a separate bowl.
- Using about 2 tablespoons at a time, roll the mixture into balls (an ice cream scoop works great here). Coat the balls in the panko and then flatten each one into a small cake about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, place the cakes in the skillet and press down with a spatula to flatten a little more.
- Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, with oranges on the side.
After the cakes are formed, they may be frozen. Place them on a baking sheet in the freezer for about 1 hour, then store them in a freezer-safe ziploc bag for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, defrost them, then follow the above instructions beginning with step #7.
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Calories 132 kcal
Protein 5 g
Fat 6 g
Carb 14 g
We love this meal from this subscription meal plan service, and if you sign up, use the code KAB20 for 20% off your entire order.