Lemon essential oil is another very versatile essential oil. How to use Lemon Essential Oil is a question we have gotten quite a bit! Lemon oil is something we use all the time – in everything from playdough recipe, to DIY household cleaners, and even in bath salts. Here are some great kid-friendly ways to use lemon essential oil.
Benefits of lemon oilHere at Kids Activities Blog, we love essential oils! There are so many things you can do with a couple of drops, from making homemade cleaning products to using them on topical use to promote healthy, glowing skin, or even as internal use for helping us stay healthy and supporting our immune system. There are plenty of essential oil uses, but our favorite way is for making sugar scrubs, like the ones we will show you below. We have found the best essential oils with the best quality are Young Living – so if you’re just starting out your journey, we recommend you give them a try. They have a big variety of essential oils – lavender oil, tea tree oil, basil oil, grapefruit oil, elemi oil, and so many more, you need to try a few until you find your favorite oils. One of the most popular essential oils is lemon – we already know lemon juice from in a glass of water with some sugar makes great lemonade, but did you know that lemon extract has so many different uses as well? Lemon essential oil is a natural ingredient that also serves as a home health remedy. It’s extracted from the peel of fresh lemons through steam extraction or through a “cold-pressing” process that pricks and rotates the peel as oil is released. Here are some of the benefits and uses for lemon oil:
- When taken internally, lemon essential oil can help cleanse the body and aid an upset stomach.
- Lemon essential oil can help reduce skin irritation when incorporated into your skincare routine.
- Create your own non-toxic furniture polish by adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to olive oil (or other carrier oil), and using a cotton ball, apply it to your wood furniture. Always remember to do a patch test before, though.
- Diffusing lemon essential oil is a great way to promote a positive mindset, mental clarity, and enhance energy levels. Simply add a couple of drops of lemon to your diffuser and enjoy this natural air freshener.
- Use lemon essential oil as a natural cleaner – just add it to a spray bottle of water and use as a homemade cleaning solution to wipe down countertops and stainless steel appliances. You can also create a mixture of lemon essential oil with vinegar and baking soda for extra strength.
- Get rid of sticky residue from tags, stickers, or food, by adding a little lemon oil to a damp cloth.
- Citrus limon essential oil also has antimicrobial properties, making it a great natural disinfectant that also has a great smell.
Using Essential Oils with KidsRemove Sticky Surfaces Forget to take a sticker off a new shirt before washing and drying? Don’t throw it out! Rub lemon essential oil all over the sticky part and let sit for a minute. Use your fingernail or a flat tool to easily scrape off the sticky residue. Works like a charm! You can also use it to remove sticky labels, get gum out of carpet and hair, get sap off fingers and other sticky mishaps. Disinfect and Deodorize Stinky kitchen? Diffusing lemon essential oil spreads the lemon particles throughout the room and all the surfaces these particles land on can reap the disinfecting and deodorizing benefits of lemon. If your laundry is musty add a few drops of lemon to your load. Plus, did we mention it smells fantastic?
How to Use Lemon Essential OilLighten Your Hair! It sounds crazy but we have used it successfully to add natural highlights to our hair. Place a drop on your fingertips, glide over sections of your hair and then sit in the sun for a while. The lemon reacts with the sunlight and highlights develop! When you have reached the desired shade, wash and condition your hair as usual. Unlike chemical highlighters and bleaches, lemon will not be drying out or damage your hair. Comforting Bath. Mix a cup of Epsom Salts with 5 to 10 drops of lemon essential oil for a refreshing bath. Seasonally DO NOT put the oil in your eyes! The lemon essential oil works great seasonally with this recipe: 1 drop each of lemon, lavender and peppermint essential oil. Mix with a carrier oil and put in a roller bottle to apply topically. Or you can diffuse it by doubling the recipe and adding it to your essential oil diffuser. Cheer up the home Add lemon essential oil to your aroma diffuser to help lift the mood around your home. The sweet citrusy aroma is delightful and cheery. Boost Concentration Turn on that diffuser and add 4-12 drops of lemon essential oil while your kids are doing homework. It is easier to focus with the pleasant and cheery smell.
Want more essential oil tips and tricks? Check out these links:
- Smelly fit? Fix it with these essential oils for smelly feet tips.
- Essential oil is not just for adults! Here are our favorite essential oil games for kids.
- In fact, you can also use essential oils to calm pets or help them relax.
- Got an anniversary coming up? Try these essential oils for romance!
- Make a natural chest rub for toddlers with essential oils to improve their sleep.
- Learn how using essential oils in the bath can make you feel like you’re having a spa day at home.