Edinburgh is a lively city full of history at every turn. Most attractions are within walking distance of each other and it’s easy to fill your days with fun and adventure.
10 Things to Do with Kids in Edinburgh, Scotland
1. Edinburgh Castle – Sitting atop a hill, Edinburgh Castle can be used as a landmark. From it’s rich history and great architecture to the annual Tattoo, it’s a great place to wander around and learn about Scotland’s past.
2. Climb Arthur’s Seat – If you’re looking to stretch your legs and get some fresh air, the climb up the hill to Arthur’s Seat isn’t too strenuous. Once you get there the views across the landscape are terrific.
3 Palace of Holyrood – This is HRH Queen Elizabeth’s official residence when she is in Edinburgh. Take a tour and see how royalty live.
4. Try some Haggis – Haggis is delicious (and comes in tasty vegetarian varieties also), and Edinburgh has many places for every budget to try it. From a simple meal of haggis on a baked potato as a take-out to eat in a park, to fine-dining, it’s the thing to try while here! But perhaps it’s best not to tell the kids what is in haggis until after they’ve finished!
5. The Real Mary King’s Close – Take this amazing tour of the old city that is now underground. See how residents lived in the 1600s. Learn some history with your period-dressed tour guide. This is a tour unlike any other.
6. Royal Yacht Britannia – Get your sea legs ready and board the Royal Yacht Britannia. Take a tour around this yacht that was used to sail around the world by Queen Elizabeth II and her family. See how royalty lived while at sea. From the bedrooms to the laundry you can see it all.
7. Edinburgh Zoo – This 100 year-old-zoo has a wide range of animals, including the famous panda bears that are visiting from China. There are lots of events each day to keep the kids entertained, as well as special events throughout the year. It’s a great day out, and the 2nd most popular attraction in Edinburgh.
8. Georgian House – Take a tour of this house built in 1791 and see how the wealthy lived. The friendly staff will answer any questions you may have along the way.
9. Ghost Bus Tour – Take in the dark side of Edinburgh after sundown with this ghost tour around Scotland’s capital. Edinburgh is known for it’s paranormal activity…will you be lucky enough to experience it first-hand?
10. Hop-On-Hop-Off Bus Tour – This bus tour will take you to the touristic places that are too far to walk. Hop off at the Botanic gardens, or Royal Yacht Britannia and wander around. Listen to the guide and learn about Edinburgh as you tour through the city.
Edinburgh has something to offer to everyone of every age. The streets are filled with history and mystery, but don’t forget to schedule in some time to eat, relax, and enjoy each other, too!