One of the main motivators behind starting The Critters And Crayons Blog was to highlight some of the fantastic activities available to families in Laredo, Texas. It is not uncommon to hear someone say, “There is nothing to do here for kids or families.” We’ve learned that this isn’t true! Here are some of the best activities we’ve found in our South Texas City! You can also find many resources and articles about some of the places highlighted in this post on Critters and Crayons.
10 Things to Do with Kids in Laredo, TX
1. The Imaginarium Of South Texas – The Imaginarium of South Texas is the local children’s museum located within Mall Del Norte! It is a fantastic place to stimulate young minds with a broad range of activities, workshops and camps that encourage and develop interest in science, math, nature and discovery!
2. Lake Casa Blanca State Park – Lake Casa Blanca is a beautiful state park that is the location of many wonderful nature programs families can enjoy! Bird Hikes, Geo-Caching, Nature Sleuthing, Plant Walks, and other nature-oriented educational and craft activities abound!
3. The Lamar Bruni Vergara Planetarium – The Planetarium hosts weekly shows that educate and entertain! Young children learn about the universe in age-appropriate ways and others can go to enjoy the wonderful songs of Pink Floyd (my husband’s favorite show), under that cosmic ceiling. Family Movie Nights are a fantastic deal!
4. Movies In The Park! – A new family activity available to Laredo’s families is the Outdoor Movie Night! These fantastic events are offered in different parks and are promoted on The City of Laredo Parks & Leisure Department’s Website and Facebook Pages! They are wonderful and remind me of being with my parents as a child at the drive-in.
5. The Lamar Bruni Vergara Environmental Science Center – The Environmental Science Center is probably the place that our children derive the most joy these days! Our son cannot get enough of “Tasha The Alligator”, an alligator he named several years ago after his favorite Backyardigan. It’s a name that has stuck. Tasha is joined by a myriad of other indigenous animals and plant life maintained by Laredo Community College Staff. It is a real gem in Laredo for families!
6. The Splash Parks – (Summer) The Laredo Splash Parks (and Pools) offer tremendous relief from the scorching heat of the City during the Summer months! Children delight in the spraying, dumping, shooting water playgrounds located throughout Laredo!
7. The Farmers Market! – The Laredo Farmers Market is a joyful community event that happens every 3rd Saturday of the month. It is a place where children can learn about locally grown produce and herbs, see and dance to musicians, and view artisan wares!
8. A Minor League Baseball Game – Laredo’s Minor League Baseball Team, The Laredo Lemurs, offers the City’s families tremendous entertainment! The team plays at the gorgeous Uni-Trade Stadium which also hosts a state of the art Kids’ Zone Playground!
9. Go To Any Of Over 60 City Parks – One of the ways we explored Laredo upon moving here was to map out and explore the many Parks and Play areas! The City of Laredo Parks & Leisure Department maintain well over 60 different locations, and are constantly improving and expanding these fun areas! Some of our favorites? North Central Park (off of San Ysidro and International) has a couple of play areas and a wonderful walking path perfect for family strolls, and the modern and new Independence Hills Park at 1102 N. Merida!
10. The Public Libraries – The Laredo Public Library offers children a range of story times, craft activities, puppet shows, movie nights, reading programs and workshops throughout the year. We have enjoyed attending events with fascinating guest speakers who include visiting paleontologists and children’s authors! The newest public library, The Lamar Burni Vergara Inner City Branch Public Library even hosts rock climbing events for kids to enjoy!
Laredo, Texas has proven to be a place full of enriching activities to explore with our children as a family! I could actually highlight quite a few more than just 10, but those highlighted here are our absolute favorites. I hope you find your visit, or your stay, in this South Texas Border City to be one that brings fun, learning and memories!