Indiana is often overlooked when people road trip through the Midwest, and those who do visit don't always dare to venture beyond the capital. However, this humble state has much to offer.
Did you know that Indiana is home to a resort so beautiful and so grand that it's been called the Eighth Wonder of the World? You won't find this domed creation near Chicago or in downtown Indianapolis.
No, this breathtaking resort is found in the countryside in a little town called West Baden.
Are you curious to hear if a trip to the West Baden/French Lick area is worth your while? Check out these family-friendly suggestions before you plan your trip.
10 Things to Do with Kids in French Lick, IN
1. Swim at Big Splash Adventure indoor water park – Families can't go to French Lick or West Baden and not visit this amazing water park. It's a spectacular attraction that is easy to access and affordable. With a lazy river, slides to thrill all ages, a baby play area, indoor and outdoor pools, a splash pad, and a retractable glass roof, this attraction is fun for all ages and seasons.
2. Visit the resorts – It's not often that hotels outside of Vegas qualify as tourist attractions in and of themselves, but these resorts are not to be missed. Visitors can take a complimentary shuttle back and forth between the French Lick and West Baden resorts to get the full visual experience. You must go inside and see the famous West Baden Dome!
3. Stay overnight at one of the hotels – While you're visiting, why not book a room and make your stay official? Hotel guests have access to fantastic and fun indoor pools. Gaming parents will appreciate close access to the casino.
4. Take a horse and carriage ride – As you're entering or exiting the resorts, sign up for an evening ride in a horse-drawn carriage. The horses will take you on cozy tour of the resort grounds.
5. Relive the hotel glory days – On select evenings, costumed tour guides will transport your family from present day back to the glory days of the resorts. Which famous hotel guests from the 1920s will you be lucky enough to encounter on your tour?
6. Play mini golf or laser tag – Does your family like a bit of healthy competition or active fun? SHOTZ offers families the chance to enjoy mini golf and laser tag.
7. Play at the KidsFest Lodge – Just outside of the French Lick hotel is the KidsFest Lodge. For kids ages 6-12, the S.H.A.P.E (Sports, Health, Arts, Play, and Explore) activities may very well be the highlight of their vacation.
8. Stay in a cabin at Wilstem Guest Ranch – On the outskirts of French Lick, there is a working cattle ranch where visitors can stay in one of several spacious cabins. Enjoy the comforts of home while basking in the beauty of nature. The cabins have heating, cooling, a full kitchen, fireplace, and even a large flat-screen TV.
9. Ride on the French Lick Scenic Railway – A definite highlight of any trip to the French Lick and West Baden area is the French Lick Scenic Railway. This grand locomotive offers train rides any time of year; however, families love donning their pajamas and joining Santa on the Polar Express during the Christmas season.
10. Spend the day at Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari – For those who aren't in the area often, consider using a day of your vacation time to make a day trip to Holiday World and Splashin ™ Safari. This spectacular park has been rated one of the top theme parks in the country. Kids will love the fun; parents will love that parking, sunscreen, and drinks are included in the ticket price.
The next time you venture to the Midwest, check out these fun family-friendly activities found in the French Lick and West Baden area. These towns are truly the hidden gems of Indiana!