Houston is one of the largest and most family-friendly cities in the country! Use these fabulous destinations as a rest in your trip or as the feature of your next vacation!
10 Things to Do with Kids in Houston, TX
1. Cockrell Butterfly Center & Museum of Natural Science – The Cockrell Butterfly Center’s feature exhibit is a 3-story rain-forest environment built around a 50-foot waterfall with hundreds of live butterflies! Your ticket also includes the Brown Entomology Hall with living insects, preserved specimen, and loads of interactive educational exhibits. Also be sure to check out the other exhibits at the museum (especially the new Palentology Exhibit with dozens of huge dinosaurs!).
2. Houston Zoo – The Houston Zoo is at the heart of Houston and features over 6,000 “residents” within easy walking distance–even for children! Visit the petting zoo, bring your kids’ nature “treasures” to the Swap Shop, and check the daily schedule for Meet The Keeper talks, elephant baths, giraffe feedings, bat feedings, and more. And if you come in the summer, be sure to bring a swim suit or change of clothes for the huge splash pad!
3. Downtown Aquarium – Not only does the Downtown Aquarium include a restaurant, but you can also buy an Aquarium Adventure Exhibit Ticket to see eight more amazing exhibits! You’ll see white tigers, lionfish, sharks, turtles, and so much more! Make sure you touch and feed the stingrays!
4. Chase Tower – Take your kids to the Sky Lobby in the Chase Tower, the highest “look out” point in Houston! You can visit the Sky Lobby (on the 60th floor of the 75 story tower) between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday – Friday!
5. Brazos Bend State Park – Take your kids on an outdoor adventure they will remember! You can go fishing, hiking, birding, camping, or check out the hundreds of alligators that roam the park! Be sure to visit the nature center and check out the hands on exhibits too!
6. Children’s Museum – The Houston Children’s Museum was named the #1 Children’s Museum in the country by Parents Magazine in 2011, and for good reason! There are 14 galleries with tons of hands-on fun and learning activities–play on the 3-story climbing structure with your 6-year old, read a book in the tot room with your preschooler, or join everyone in the giant Water Works play outside! There is something for everyone!
7. Space Center Houston – How can you go to Houston without seeing the space center? Dozens of attractions can keep you busy for days: schedule lunch with an astronaut, see a full-size space shuttle, see the new mission control, climb the indoors Angry Bird play structure, taste some astronaut ice-cream, and so much more!
8. Kemah Boardwalk – Rollercoasters, playgrounds, arcades, restaurants, boat rides, and a Stingray Reef & Rainforest Exhibit…the Kemah Boardwalk is fun getaway for everyone! Seasonal fun comes and goes (like the Haunted House at Halloween time), but the rollercoasters are here to stay! Also check the website for events and frequent live music!
9. Discovery Green – An incredible urban park in the heart of downtown Houston. Discover outdoor movies, concerts, yoga classes, and more.
10. Ice at the Galleria – Summer or winter, you can go ice-skating at the famous Galleria mall in Houston! Plan ahead for a class, or just drop by and skate in the middle of your shopping trip–it will be a moment to remember!
Houston is an amazing city to visit with your whole family! Bring the kids, and have an adventure!