New Orleans, LA is in a world all its own. It is full of culture, good food, and entertainment. My kids love the “Crecent City” so they have helped me put together a list of top 10 favorite things to do with kids in New Orleans.
10 Things to Do with Kids in New Orleans, LA
1. Visit the Mardi Gras museum – You can’t think of New Orleans and not think of Mardi Gras! Housed inside the Presbytere, kids will enjoy the interactive exhibits. They can learn what it is like to ride on a Mardi Gras parade float and see some amazing Mardi Gras costumes.
2. Eat at Cafe du Monde – Fried dough and powdered sugar. Some call it beignets. My kids just call it Heaven! They are great for breakfast, late night snack, or anytime really. Warning: Powdered sugar is attracted to kid’s clothing!
3. Meet the animals at the Audubon Zoo – The Audubon Zoo is like no other zoo. You can see animals from around the world, learn about Louisiana’s unique swamp habitat, experience the Dinosaur Adventure, and even cool off at the splash park.
4. See live alligators on a swamp tour – A boat ride through the Louisiana swamp is an unforgettable experience. My kids just loved this excursion. They fed live alligators from the boat, learned about the delicate ecosystem, and met some new friends.
5. Touch a sting ray at the Aquarium of the Americas – The aquarium is a great place to learn about aquatic life in a fun interactive way. Get a penguin pass to meet penguins up close, touch a sting ray, learn about the creatures that live in the Gulf of Mexico, or just hang out with the sea otters, sharks, or sea turtles.
6. Eat a bug at the Butterfly Garden and Insectarium – We saw more bugs that we could ever imagine at the Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium. There are great hands-on exhibits for children, an enclosed butterfly habitat where butterflies fly past your head and even land on your hand, and even a cafe where you can taste a variety of real bugs – ewww!
7. Take a ride on a real streetcar – A New Orleans streetcar is just plain fun to ride but it also makes for a cheap and easy way to get around the city.
8. Have fun at the Carousel Gardens Amusement Park – This amusement park features classic rides like a Tilt-a-Whirl and bumper cars. There are 15 rides total. My kids loved the cute train that took us around the park.
9. Visit the National WWII Museum – Kids can experience what life was like about the USS Tang Submarine, visit the large collection of WWII planes on display, and learn about some real world heroes.
10. Have lunch on a steamboat cruise – The Steamboat Natchez is a paddle wheel boat that offers 2 hour cruises along the Mississippi River complete with lunch and a Calliope. It’s was a real highlight of the trip for my kids. Next time we want to go on their Jazz Brunch cruise.
New Orleans has lots of attractions but it is also a great place to just walk around and explore. Jackson Square is rich with New Orleans history – statues, buildings, and lots of street artists. City Park is a beautiful place for a picnic and outdoor fun. The Riverwalk is packed with shops and restaurants. Where ever you go in New Orleans, there is something for everyone in the family to enjoy.