So you want to feed your kids healthy snacks, but you don’t have the time to whip something up, not to mention you don’t have any idea where to start?
- Keep it simple – Healthy kid snacks don’t have to be difficult. With some basic ingredients on hand, you won’t have to resort to the high-fructose corn syrup, sugar loaded, no nutrition whatsoever snacks anymore.
- Involve your kids – They feel important when they get to help and when you applaud them for that awesome dab of almond butter they put on those apple slices! By allowing them to help you in the kitchen, you are teaching them that healthy snacks are not only fun to make, but they are invested in the recipe.
To show you just how easy it is, our first healthy snack menu idea is…
Apple Slices with Almond Butter
2 tbsp of almond butter
1. Core and slice the apple of your choice.
2. Let your child(ren) use a spoon to scoop some almond butter out and decorate each slice however they choose.
Notes from Brittany:
- Please don’t make the same mistake my mom did and look for almond butter next to the margarine at the grocery store. You won’t find it there. Almond butter is similar to peanut butter, however, it’s made from almonds instead of peanuts. At your regular grocery store, you will most likely find almond butter in the organic/health food section.
- Don’t let the grams of fat in almond butter fool you. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the same type of health-promoting fats found in olive oil, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease. Almonds are also high in Vitamin E, magnesium and potassium – all important nutrients for your body.
Notes from Holly:
- Yum. Can I just say that this is one of the reasons I am working on this snack menu? This was super easy and delicious and I would have NEVER thought of it.
- If you want to get all fancy, you can make the almond butter yourself. I found this easy almond butter recipe on Cooking for Seven – even if you don’t think you will ever make almond butter from scratch, stop by her blog because the pictures will take your breath away…and potentially inspire you to make almond butter from scratch.
Notes from the boys:
- No complaints.