Three District-Wide Events; 70+ FREE Events Celebrate the Arts and Launch a New Season of Outstanding Programming
The Dallas Arts District is underway with the second annual Art in October line up of more than 170 events, many free or at a reduced price, during the month of October on Flora Street in Downtown Dallas. The month-long Art celebration of the Dallas Arts District spotlights the district's organizations, venues, exhibitions and programs with a variety of events while raising the bar from last year's successes. Art in October 2011 is a diverse mix of stunning district-wide exhibitions and community-oriented elements designed to entertain and engage audiences of all ages.
She Is Dallas Info: Check the Dallas Arts District parking map for locations and pricing for events in the Dallas Arts District area. For more information, please call (214) 744-6642 or visit the Dallas Arts District website. You can even follow Dallas Arts District on Facebook.
A few of the highlight events are listed below but there are many more events listed at the Art In October events page.
- October 8 ” Dance Africa Dallas Black Dance Theatre presents their 6th Annual DanceAfrica Marketplace in Annette Strauss Square. Enjoy a day of FREE performances of African dance and music, along with a marketplace of food, art, clothing and jewelry.
- October 9 ” 5th Annual Fiesta Latinoamericana! The Fiesta is presented by the DFW International Community Alliance and together, with the Cathedral Fall Festival and the AT&T Performing Arts Center, the groups bring Flora Street to life with Dallas ™ only cultural festival of the Americas “ including three stages of FREE entertainment, food vendors, dance workshops and hands-on activities for the entire family.
- October 21 ” Friday Night Arts Join us for Opening Night of The Dallas Opera Season, a performance of Lucia di Lammermoor ” including free outdoor simulcast. Across the street Dallas Theater Center invites you to their Pay-What-You-Can Performance of To Kill a Mockingbird. The activity continues at the other end of Flora St. with the Dallas Museum of Art's Late Night, Crow Collection After Dark and the Nasher Sculpture Center's preview of the new contemporary installation, Sightings: Diana Al Hadid. At the DMA explore the Mark Bradford exhibition and experience music, performances, a program for teens, films, tours, and family activities all chosen by the Los Angeles-based artist or influenced by his work. At the Crow Collection celebrate the new exhibition Qui Anxiong: Animated Narratives and enjoy tours of this contemporary installation, gallery games, art making activities, personalized flip books, and more
- October 27 ” Sacred Spaces of the Arts District Tour The histories of the Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin Guadalupe, St. Paul United Methodist Church and First United Methodist Church, reflect the stories of our great city and its people. Come learn about the architecture and the history of some of the district's oldest buildings.
- October 28 ” Aurora 2011 A night of FREE public art that will transform the Dallas Arts District. Emerging and established artists from around the country will create site-specific installations of light, sound, performance and projection art. From 7:30pm-midnight come experience the neighborhood in an unexpected way, with art in unexpected places.
- October 30 ” Closing Celebration – A month of great events will wrap-up with costume-festivities and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra's Monsters of Film. Admission will be FREE to the museums. Throughout the district., there will be a variety of food vendors, street performances, tours, and activities. The evening will conclude with the district’s first come-as-a-zombie, audience participation Zombie Walk .