Opossums are such interesting animals that kids adore. Is it because they carry baby opossums on their backs or because they play dead? We’ll never know! In the meantime, let’s learn some interesting opossum facts.
So, print these opossum facts coloring pages, grab your crayons, and enjoy learning!
10 Fun Facts About Opossums
If you have a kiddo obsessed with opossums, then they’ll love learning all about their quirks, their habitats and what they eat. At the end of the post, you can get our free PDF to color
- Opossums, also known as possums, are marsupial animals native to North America.
- They are closely related to kangaroos and koalas because female opossums have a pouch just like them.
- The Virginia opossum is the only marsupial found in the United States and Canada.
- There are over 100 different species of opossums, ranging in size from small pygmy opossums to the domestic cat-sized Virginia opossum.
- They are light gray and look similar to big rats — but they are not small rodents. They have five toes on each foot and a hairless tail.
- Baby opossums stay in their mother’s pouch until they are two months old. After that, they ride on their mother’s back until they are four months old.
- Opossums eat fruit, eggs, grains, and nuts, but they also eat dead animals like mice, frogs, and snakes.
- The common opossum has an average lifespan of 2 years, while the Virginia opossum lives up to 4 years.
- When confronted with a threat, they might run, hiss, or enter a catatonic state where they faint and enter a state of unconsciousness.
- The best thing about opossums is that they are close to indestructible – they are immune to rabies and some snake venom and have great natural immunity.
Download Opossum Facts Coloring Pages PDF
HOW TO COLOR THESE PRINTABLE opOSSUM FACTS COLORING PAGES
Take time to read each fact and then color the picture next to the fact. Each picture will correlate with the fun opossum fact.
You can use crayons, pencils, or even markers if you want to.
COLORING SUPPLIES RECOMMENDED FOR YOUR Opossum FACTS COLORING PAGES
- For drawing the outline, a simple pencil can work great.
- Colored pencils are great for coloring in the bat.
- Create a bolder, solid look using fine markers.
- Gel pens come in any color you can imagine.
MORE PRINTABLE FACTS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG:
- Ever wanted to learn what’s it like being in Australia? Check out these Australia facts.
- These President’s Day facts make learning so much more fun.
- Who was Harriet Hubman? Learn all about this important person in history in our Harriet Hubman facts coloring pages!
- Let’s learn where Valentine’s Day came from with these printable worksheets.
- Pizza facts sound like a great way to start the day!
- Y’all can print these fun facts about Texas.
Did you learn anything new from the fun opossum facts?