This unique chili calls for ground buffalo meat, which is a healthy alternative to beef. It will also give your chili a unique, more “meaty” flavor.
Ground buffalo is becoming easier to find, and I have found the cheapest to be in the fresh meat butcher’s case.
If you would like to reduce the cost of the meat, you can use 1 pound buffalo & 1 pound chili ground beef.
Buffalo Chili Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lb. ground buffalo meat
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. ancho chile powder
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, t0 taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2/3 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (7oz) can chipotle sauce OR 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn
WHAT TO DO:
*In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat & add ground buffalo (if using half beef, omit oil). Brown meat, breaking large chunks into smaller ones. Cook until all meat is browned. Remove from pot, discard excess fat, leaving about 1 Tbsp in the pot.
*Bring pot back to medium heat, add onions & bell peppers, and cook for about 5 mintues, scraping bottom now & then to get the browned bits of meat mixed in with the vegetables.
*Add jalapeno pepper & cook for another 3 minutes.
*Add garlic & cook for another minute. Add cumin, oregano, coriander, salt & pepper. Cook for another minute, stirring.
*Return browned meat to the pot. Stir in tomatoes & beef broth, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, adobo sauce, bay leaf & corn. Bring to a boil. Once boiling taste sauce & adjust salt and pepper to taste.
*Lower heat to a slow simmer, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes.