Earth Day was first celebrated on April 22, 1970. This first event brought millions of people out to celebrate our planet. Participants in New York City alone were estimated to be over one million. On April 22, 2011, the City of Dallas along with the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Dallas Independent School District, will hold Earth Day Dallas. With more than 200 civic, corporate and not-for-profit partners engaged, organizers forecast the 2011 celebration will go down as the biggest and most impactful Earth Day celebration in the history of Dallas and, perhaps, the country.
She Is Dallas info: Earth Day Dallas 2011 will take place Friday, April 22 and Saturday, April 23 from 10:00 – 5:00 in the Dallas Arts District. Check out the following link for a full color MAP of activities and parking. But don’t forget about DART rail – The downtown Pearl Station is only a few blocks walk from the event. For more information about this event, please visit the Earth Day Dallas 2011 website.
Earth Day Dallas wants people to Come, Learn and Act. While Dallas is taking steps in the right direction, there is much work and education to be done to ensure it's a healthy, ecologically responsible place to live for years to come, Trammell S. Crow said. The 2011 celebration will be more than an event. It's intended to be an ongoing movement of green business and community efforts that penetrate the daily lives of Dallas residents.
Earth Day Dallas events will focus on entertaining, inspiring and educating Dallasites with various ways to think, work and live green by showcasing emerging green technology, providing eco-friendly family activities such as a family picnic as well as arts and craft stations for kids as well as the following events:
- Chase Rotunda Speaker Series – An exciting line-up of speakers from environmental experts to advocates will share their thoughts and insights on how to grow a greener world. All lectures will take place in the Chase Rotunda. Check our Event Listings for specific speakers and times.
- Artfully Green Films – The Dallas Film Society presents engaging, environmentally focused film features and shorts at the Dallas Museum of Art. We ™ve selected films that address local and global environmental issues. Check our Event Listings for specific times.
- Eco Expo – Explore booth after booth of exhibits from corporations, non-profit organizations and universities that highlight the latest in green technology, products, services and research. For a complete listing, please see the list of Participating Vendors.
- Music – Don't miss the amazing line-up of live music at the Annette Strauss Artist Square and One Arts Plaza. We ™ve got folk, rock, pop, country, jazz and hip-hop all represented by local and national acts. Check our Event Listings for specific times.
- Free Yoga – Exercise both mind and body at the free Earth Day yoga classes at the Crow Museum and One Arts Plaza, brought to us by YogiÃ±o's For Youth. Come get zen with us! Check our Event Listings for specific times and location.
- Bike Rally – What better way to get to Earth Day than by bike? Ride your bicycle to the event and meet up with fellow cyclists on Saturday at One Arts Plaza.
Information provided to She is Dallas by Earth Day Dallas.