My kids’ favorite thing to say lately? “Mom, can I have a snack?” They are 100% snack obsessed, even after they’ve had a full helping of one of the three essential meals of the day.
I am far from the only parent who is tiiiiired of constantly being asked for a snack, because after one mom of three offered up a genius snack hack, her idea went viral. Aka, her idea has been shared a crazy 403,000+ times at the time of this writing.
What’s this Genius Snack Hack?
It’s so simple I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before!
Jen Hallstrom says she gives each of her children a colored basket each morning. In that basket she puts a handful of snacks for the day. Once those snacks are gone for the day? That’s it! No more snacks.
Okay, okay, I can already see my three year old whining about this. But at the same time, it’s a crazy good idea. After all, it’s one way of teaching kids to stop and think: “Do I really want this snack right now? Am I really hungry, or am I eating out of boredom?”
In addition to snacks, Hallstrom also puts one cup in the basket. That’s their only cup for the day. As she says, “Because I’m not washing 50 cups a day! Hahaha!”
I seriously feel like she took a peek into my life and saw how my entire top dishwasher rack is full of children’s plates and cups, and I only have two kids. I feel called out!
But honestly, I need to try this snack hack. I’m far from the only one. Other parents commented with things like “Smart!” and “Love this! I HATE that I have let the kids fall into the habit of getting their own snacks throughout the day. Might give this a shot while I am at home!”
Same girl, same.
RELATED STUCK AT HOME POSTS:
- Explore these awesome virtual museum tours.
- Headbands with buttons for nurses is a fun project!
- These easy dinner ideas give you one less thing to worry about.
- Try these fun edible playdough recipes!
- Sew masks for nurses or make masks without sewing.
- Make a homemade bidet.
- Learn how to homeschool preschool.
- Apply for a scholarship to Codeacademy.
- Print off educational worksheets for kids!
- Set up a neighborhood bear hunt. Your kids will love it!
- Play these 50 science games for kids.
- Prepare for the week by making 5 dinners in 1 hour!
- You know you need these LEGO storage ideas.
- Make a headband for attaching masks.
- Check out these Zoom hacks as you work and homeschool!
- Check out these amazing five minute crafts.
- Try these these cool Halloween party games for kids!