In each of Misa Ramirez’s Lola Cruz Mystery Series’ books there’s delicious food. Living the Vida Lola is being released tomorrow! In honor of the upcoming book release…
Now, the authentic, but simplified “Lola” recipes, are available for you. The first is a Cruz staple: Spanish Rice. No meal is complete without it!
A Lola Cruz Recipie #1 Spanish Rice
Also called Sopa de Arroz, this dish can be made with fresh onions, garlic, and tomatoes, or you can do it the simplified “Lola” way.
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons oil
- 1 cup Long Grain white rice
- One 6-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- (the seasoning Adobo can be substituted for the garlic and onion)
- 1 tsp. salt, to taste
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan.
- Add rice and brown.
- Stir in 3/4 of the can of tomato sauce (add more if you prefer moist rice, less if you prefer it less tomatoey and drier).
- Add water (or broth), garlic and onion powder, and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer approximately 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
A Little Flavor or Lola: “When I was fourteen years old, I snapped pictures of Jack Callaghan doing the horizontal salsa in the back seat of a car with Greta Pritchard. That’s when I knew for sure I’d grow up to be a private eye.”
–From Living the Vida Lola, St. Martin’s Press January 20, 2009–
For more information about the Lola Cruz Mystery Series, and for more Lola recipies, visit Misa’s website.