Korean BBQ Lentils with Brown Rice are an all-vegetable twist on a beef barbecue recipe. You get all the nutritious protein and carbs with none of the fat and added calories! I’m not a vegetarian, but I love lentils and finding new ways to incorporate them into my diet. Why? They lower cholesterol, stabilize your blood sugar, increase your energy, and are packed with nutrients so you’re left feeling full and satisfied after eating them. Give this easy to prepare, easy to make healthy veggie lunch option a try.
Ingredients for Korean BBQ Lentils with Brown Rice
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (I use Coconut sugar)
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp Grapeseed oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 cup Organic Red Lentils
- 1 cup green onions
- 1 cup of brown rice (makes for one cup cooked for each serving)
Directions for Korean BBQ Lentils with Brown Rice
- Combine and mix sesame oil, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper in a bowl.
- Heat grapeseed oil on medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes (or until onion is tender).
- Add lentils and sauce mixture. Turn heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve end result over rice and garnish with green onions.
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Protein 16 g
Fat 5 g
Carb 49 g
Fiber 8 g
Sugar 10 g