Today we have the coolest sugar tie dye technique that makes creating colorful tie dye patterns super easy even for younger kids. Here at Kids Activities Blog we have been a little obsessed with tie dye patterns because they are fun crafts for kids of all ages that can be worn, displayed or shared as a gift.
How to Make Sugar Tie Dye T-Shirts with Kids
Tie dye crafts are fun to make and are great personalized gifts kids can make for friends and relatives. I also love this craft for slumber parties or birthday parties because kids can take home their creations as a party favor.
We are making a tie dye t-shirt, but you could do this on tote bags, skirts, shoes and so many other fun tie dye items.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed for Sugar Tie Dying
- White t-shirt – white cotton tshirts work best
- Tie Dye Kit (We used the Tulip one step spray tie dye kit)
- Cold Water
- Paper Towels
Directions for Sugar Tie Dye Technique on T-Shirt
Place cardboard inside the shirt to prevent the colors from bleeding through.
Use a damp paper towel to outline your design onto the shirt. We made diagonal lines across the shirt.
Sprinkle sugar along the damp design — anywhere the sugar is located, your shirt will remain white.
Follow the instructions on your tie dye kit to add color to the shirt. We used a spray kit to spray the color directly onto the shirt. It was so easy and I love how the colors turned out!
Allow the colors to dry.
Rinse the sugar off in cold water and allow the shirt to dry. Be sure to set the colors if your tie dye kit requires it by following the kit instructions.
More Tie Dye Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Now that you’re ready to rock the beach with an awesome tie dye towel, check out these other colorful things to tie dye!
- Or check out our big list of tie dye patterns that are simple enough for kids!
- Tie dye art meets science in this cool ph science fair project.
- Let’s make personalized beach towels with tie dye.
- Tie dye with food coloring! Love this idea to use what you have on hand for tie dye.
- Make tie dye Mickey Mouse shirts…these are perfect for the entire family.
- Make tie dye 4th of July shirts!
- Looking for an easy and awesome project? Check out this dip dye idea!
How did your sugar tie dye t-shirt turn out?