What are your vacation essentials when you’re packing for a trip with the kids?
Space is always limited in our suitcases but I always like to make sure I have something to keep the children entertained wherever we are, and whatever the weather.
Packing for a Playful Trip
My number one item I always make sure we have is… chalk! It’s small, light, easy to transport and so versatile that the kids can use it in lots of playful ways.
Just having this one added ingredient means we can turn any place in to a play space – using whatever materials the holiday location gives us. We were on an island of the Welsh coast last week where the local stone is slate. Just right for making pebble people with our chalk.
Bringing the stones to life with chalk faces gave my girls some colorful characters to tell stories with and use as props in their play.
Pack some chalk and you could also:
- set up an impromptu nature treasure hunt
- play ring games (with an Olympic theme)
- try some land art chalk faces
- have all the family join in a game of chalk twister
Playful possibilities, wherever you are.
Tell me your kids’ vacation essential.
What’s the one thing you make sure to pack for a playful holiday?
The Quirky Mommas have a few more fun ideas for traveling with kids:
- Creative Road Trip Activities – Check out this list of creative road trip activities to engage your family during a long car trip â€“ to keep everyone interacting as you drive on down the road.
- Travel Games for Kids: I Spy Windows – Your children can learn while traveling and having fun with this creative educational game.
- Tips for Road Trips with Toddlers and Preschoolers – Make your travel time a little less stressful with these fun activities to keep you little ones quiet and happy.