We always have cheese tortellini or cheese ravioli in my freezer — it’s perfect in a pinch. But instead of using marinara sauce, I used basil pesto to create this Easy Cheese Tortellini Salad.
Basil pesto is also perfect in a pinch. I love it on all different types of pasta including cheese tortellini.
Cheese tortellini has a taste that is somewhat different from cheese ravioli. And the fun shape is the perfect bite size.
This recipe is really easy.
Easy Cheese Tortellini Salad
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion, chopped
- Package of Cheese Tortellini
- 6 tablespoons pre-made Basil Pesto
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil and cook the onions and tomatoes
- In a separate bowl, follow instructions to cook the cheese tortellini
- Add the cooked cheese tortellini to the tomato, onion mixture and mix
- Add 6 tablespoons of pre-made basil pesto and combine
- Shred fresh parmesan cheese on top
I started by heating up the olive oil in a large saucepan. I then cooked the onions and tomatoes in the oil.
In a separate pot, I cooked the cheese tortellini for about 8 minutes.
The onions and tomatoes will look like this when you are done. You can also roast the tomatoes in the oven if you like the tomato to keep its original shape.
Add the cooked cheese tortellini to the onions and tomatoes.
Then add about 6 tablespoons of pre-made basil pesto to the salad and mix together. I have found that making basil pesto can be time-consuming (for me anyway) so I like to use pre-made pesto.
This makes dinner just a bit easier during a crazy, hectic week.
Add freshly shredded parmesan cheese on top and serve. You can serve right out of the saucepan.
This salad can be served hot or cold. It’s a nice, easy dinner for the family!