Get all dressed up for Mardi Gras and get ready to party with your own DIY Printable Mardi Gras Mask Craft.
The kids can color and customize their own mask for Mardi Gras with this free printable activity. Color, cut it out and put it together however you’d like. All you need is a little creative fun and you’ll be ready for the celebration in no time!
History Of The Mardi Gras Mask
The Mardi Gras mask has been around for quite some time and actually signifies freedom. Grant it each color means something:
- Purple represents Justice
- Green represents Faith
- Gold represents Power
But these masks were worn to allow the Mardi Gras wearers break free from class restraints and escape society. This allowed those who celebrated Mardi Gras to be whomever they wanted to be and spent time with anyone regardless of status and class.
While many don’t know the history of why the masks became a thing, many still wear them today as it adds to the celebration, magic, and excitement of Mardi Gras.
So, lets make our own magical masks to celebrate!
Printable Mardi Gras Mask
We have a free Mardi Gras mask template for you! While you can use regular paper, I’d probably print this printable Mardi Gras mask on cardstock.
It’s a bit thicker and will last a bit longer and can handle the wet elements of crafting a bit better than regular paper.
Invite friends over or use this as an activity with a whole class. Everyone can create their own unique mask with this printable Mardi Gras Mask craft. Don’t forget to include the Colors of Mardi Gras; green, purple and gold… everyone loves a little extra sparkle when they celebrate Fat Tuesday!
Supplies Needed To Make Your Mardi Gras Mask:
- Hole Punch
How To Make DIY Mardi Gras Mask
- To make these masks you’ll need to:
- Color each part of your mask including the feathers, flowers, and fake gems.
- Cut out each piece of the Mardi Gras printables.
- Then decorate the Mardi Gras mask with all the fun pieces you’ve colored.
- If you’d like, use some glitter glue, glue on gems and add other fun embellishments to really make your mask sparkle!
- Once you are finished decorating your mask, use the hole punch to create a hole on each side of the mask.
- Tie some string through each hole and then you can tie the mask on to wear it.
If you don’t want to tie the mask on, you can glue the finished mask to a stick and carry it, holding it up to your face when you’d like to show it off.
Now, you’re ready to celebrate Fat Tuesday with your colorful and fun Mardi Gras mask.
More Mardi Gras Ideas:
Now that you have your masks, it is time to celebrate with delicious Mardi Gras King Cakes!
Looking for another Mardi Gras activity? Then check out our free printable Mardi Gras coloring pages!
We have so many Mardi Gras crafts to choose from! These Mardi Gras crafts are perfect for both children and adults.