Galveston Island is just over 200 square miles full of adventure for the entire family! It is hard to narrow the fun down to just ten items, but here they are: ten things to do with kids in Galveston!
10 Things to Do with Kids in Galveston, TX
1. Moody Gardens – You can easily spend an entire day at Moody Gardens, so give yourself some time! There is a beach, rainforest pyramid, aquarium pyramid, paddleboat, and tons more! Schedule a behind the scenes tour with penguins or come during the holidays and enjoy the lights! Any time you come is sure to be memorable!
2. Galveston Railroad Museum – See real trains, check out amazing model trains, and go for a train ride–fun for adults and kids! Would you rather see planes than trains? Then check out the Lonestar Flight Museum!
3. Ride Horses on the Beach – See Galveston from horseback! Children are welcomed and young children riding double with an adult are even given a special price!
4. Go Fishing! – The 61st Street Pier is family friendly and has everything you need to enjoy fishing together…including snacks and hot dogs! You can also just visit the pier for a nice view of the Gulf of Mexico!
5. Go Birding! – Take the family birding and see how many big birds you can spot! Big Reef Nature Park is considered a must-see stop for birds!
6. Go Camping! – Galveston Island State Park has a range of campsites available that include picnic tables, electricity, showers, and more!
7. Visit 1877 Ship Elissa – Climb aboard one of the oldest tall sailing ships still around! She’s still sea-worthy! While you’re there, check out the rest of the Texas Seaport Museum too!
8. Go on a Baywatch Dolphin Tour! – Are you ready to see dolphins? These 45-minute tours usually include dolphins, pelicans, and other wildlife, though you can never predict animals perfectly!
9. Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum & Education Center – Take your family onto a real oil drilling rig! Ocean Star is retired, but now has hands-on exhibits and displays to teach about oil and gas! Visit the drill floor, pipe deck, and more!
10. Play at the Beach! – No trip to Galveston would be complete without playing at the beach! You can visit the beach in hundreds of spots along Galveston…build a sand castle, go wading, or try body surfing! While you’re there, be sure to spot the Sea Wall…a 17-foot tall wall that both helps protect Galveston from storm surge and provides a fun border to the beach. It’s easy to find: it extends almost 55,000 feet long!
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing day at the beach or for an awesome vacation destination, Galveston has tons to offer. Enjoy your time on the island!