Pacific Grove is a beautiful, family-oriented town right on the central coast of California. With moderate temperatures, beautiful views, and a peaceful atmosphere, it’s the perfect place for a family to spend time. Here’s our list of the top 10 things to do with kids in Pacific Grove, California!
10 Things to Do with Kids in Pacific Grove, CA
1. Play and picnic Lover’s Point park and beaches – Lover’s Point beach and park are located just a few steps down the hill from town center. Have a picnic in the beautiful, grassy park overlooking the ocean, and then head down the nearby steps to play at the beach. Lover’s Point Beach is located in a nice secluded spot perfect for kids of all ages!
2. Explore the Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History – The Natural History Museum is such a fun place for both kids and adults to explore and learn about local wildlife and geology. Their outdoor space is amazing, complete with a rock garden where the kids search for fossils and a giant spirit nest you can climb into! The museum has free admission (although they gratefully accept donations).
3. Enjoy some delicious pastries from Pavel’s Backerei – You ™ll want to make a stop at Pavel’s Backeri for some absolutely amazing pastries for breakfast! Our favorites are the cream cheese danishes and berry danishes! Be sure to get there early! They usually sell out of everything before the day is through.
4. Enjoy storytime at the Pacific Grove Library – The local library has a wonderful children’s section with a variety of books, fun places to sit and read, and a friendly librarian! Be sure to enjoy one of the children’s storytime sessions. (You can find the different times and storytime themes on their website.)
5. Explore Downtown – There’s so much to see in the quaint downtown. Take a walk down Lighthouse Avenue and explore the many shops and restaurants. The kids will love the little bookstore, The Works, where you can even grab some coffee or hot chocolate!
6. Grab an organic lunch at Happy Girl Kitchen Co – Just a quick walk down the main street of Pacific Grove’s downtown, you ™ll find this organic cafÃ© and shop. Happy Girl offers both breakfast and lunch (both are amazing), and sells artisan jams and local honey!
7. Burn off some energy in Caledonia Park – Caledonia is one of the most popular parks in Pacific Grove. It’s located right in downtown and full of tons of play areas for the kids. I love that it’s completely enclosed and offers a play structure suitable for both younger and older children.
8. Observe the clusters of Monarch butterflies in the Monarch Grove Butterfly Sanctuary – If you are in Pacific Grove between October and February, be sure to stop by the butterfly sanctuary. After migrating from up north, the monarchs arrive here, hanging in clusters in tress above. The grove usually provides binoculars for visitors, and there’s a nice path to take a walk among the beautiful eucalyptus trees.
9. Stand in awe of the amazing Ice Cream Shoppe (and have ice cream!) – The Ice Cream Shoppe in Pacific Grove (located right on Lighthouse Ave.) is an actual experience in itself. Not only do they sell premium ice cream, but the space is completely covered with rock & roll memorabilia! Not to be missed!
10. Explore the tide pools and fly a kite at Asilomar State Beach – The kids will enjoy playing in the sand, wading in the water, exploring tide pools, and searching for sea glass. Be sure to bring a kite because it’s the perfect place for kite flying! There’s also a nearby path you can follow along the beach to explore on a family walk. Asilomar Beach has some of the most breathtaking views around so be sure to bring a camera!
Both kids and adults will find Pacific Grove a friendly little town full of lots of fun and enjoyment. It’s been one of our favorite family destinations for years!