March is Poison Prevention Month

Did you know poisoning is the second leading cause of accidental injury related to death at home? But according to the Home Safety Council most families do not take the appropriate precautions to reduce the risk of exposure to poisons in their homes.

Out of the 2.4 million poison exposures reported through the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), over 90% of them occurred in the home.

Here are some simple steps you can take to make sure your home is a safer place:

Poison Prevention Checklist

Be Prepared

  1. Call 1-800-222-1222 if someone takes poison. This number will connect you to emergency help in your area. Keep the number by every phone.
  2. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell. The gas collects when fuels are burned.
  3. Have a service person check heaters, stove and fireplaces every year to see that they work well.
  4. Have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector near the bedrooms.

Know the things in your home that are poisons.

  1. Look at the labels for the words Caution,  Warning,  or Danger  on the box or bottle.
  2. Read the labels and follow directions when using these.

Protect young children

  1. Take all medicines and medical supplies out of purses, pockets and drawers. Put them in a cabinet with a child safety lock.
  2. Have child-safety caps on all chemicals, medications and cleaning products.
  3. Lock all dangerous items and products in a cabinet. Cosmetics (make-up) can be poison too.
  4. Keep all dangerous products in the bottle or package they came in, with the labels on.
  5. Store all dangerous products away from food and drinks.
  6. Keep each family member's medicines in a separate place, so they don't get mixed up.
  7. Have a cover on the trash can.

In the bathroom

  1. Keep all chemicals, cosmetics (make-up), medicines and medical supplies and cleaning products in the containers they came in with the labels on.
  2. Have a medicine cabinet you can lock.
  3. Be safe. Throw away medicines if you don't use them or they are old or the date has expired.

Visit the Home Safety Council for more tips to keep your family safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *