Homemade pop tarts – I can see my son eating half a dozen of these!
And now we know how to make them ourselves. This is either really awesome or really dangerous!
For these homemade pop tarts, we are making our own crust. You can use store bought crust to make them a little faster, but we just love the taste of this recipe, and it’s pretty easy to make.
I used strawberry jam, nutella and apple butter in the center of these. I am freezing them to eat on busy days.
Ingredients for the Pop Tart Shells:
- 2 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 shortening chilled
- 2 TBSP butter chilled
- 5-6 TBSP ice water
How To Make the Pop Tarts:
1. mix flour and salt together
2. cut in shortening and butter
3. add water 1 TBSP at a time
4. separate into 2 bowls and chill
5. roll out and fill, it really does not take much to fill them, seal the edges.
6. bake at 350 degrees until golden.
Thanks so much to Pam, of Troop Petrie, for giving us this awesome recipe!