Kids Will Love These Pizza Beans Pizza Rolls
This post is sponsored by Hurst Beans.
We are sharing another delicious recipe with beans thanks to our partners at Hurst Beans. The kids are going to love this one, and they’ll be able to help make it too.
Before you get started making these pizza beans pizza rolls, grab a handful of beans out of your Hurst HamBeens 15 Bean soup bag to plant your own beans just in time for spring.
Are beans good for kids?
If your kids aren’t used to eating beans it might be difficult to introduce them into their diet. However, beans are rich in fiber and packed with nutrients like iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, folate, and zinc. A recipe like these pizza rolls is a delicious way to introduce beans.
How to make pizza rolls with beans
Print out our recipe card below, and watch our video for the full tutorial.
We used Hurst’s Pizza Beans recipe to create these delicious pizza rolls for kids. My daughter and I made the recipe together.
Begin by pouring water over the beans and leave them to soak overnight. Remove any debris and skins from the beans that you find before rinsing the beans and using them in the recipe.
Help kids chop the fresh produce, and cut the pepperoni into smaller pieces.
Cook all of the ingredients according to the recipe on the stove before transferring the pot into the oven for 2 hours.
Add marinara sauce and the Hurst Beans seasoning packet and the put your pot back into the oven for a further 20 minutes. You will then need to drain some of the liquid out of the pot and cool the mixture before making the pizza rolls.
To make the pizza rolls, roll out pizza crust dough, and cut it into rectangles. Place mozzarella sticks and some of the drained pizza beans onto the dough and roll it up securing the ends. If there is too much liquid inside it will make a mess of the dough. It’s normal for a little cheese to come out while baking though. Brush the pizza rolls with a garlic, parsley, and butter mix, and bake for about 12 minutes in the oven. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Freezing pizza rolls
Once cooled put your pizza rolls into a freezer Ziploc bag.
When ready to reheat, turn the oven onto 425F. Put your frozen pizza rolls back into the oven on a baking tray for 12-15 minutes. If your oven runs hot and they look like they are starting to brown too much, wrap them in aluminum foil.
The Pizza Beans recipe is delicious on its own too. We made pizza rolls with part of it and then had the rest of the pot for dinner too.
Pizza Beans Pizza Rolls
- 1 package HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP®
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1lb. ground mild Italian sausage
- 6oz. sliced pepperoni, cut into quarters
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 24oz. marinara sauce (plus extra for dipping)
- Mozzarella sticks - 1/2 stick per pizza roll
- Pizza crust dough - 1 roll makes 12 pizza rolls
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Pour beans into a large bowl, cover with 8 cups of water and soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Discard any debris, remove skins, and then rinse before using.
- Turn stove to medium-high, and in a large oven-safe pot sauté the ground sausage and pepperoni until sausage is completely browned. Remove from pot and put onto paper towels to drain excess grease.
- Add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock and turn heat to high. Use your spoon to scrape off any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the meats & soaked beans back into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and place into the oven for 2 hours, stir the beans halfway through the cooking time.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and Hurst's Ham flavor packet. Put pot back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and turn the heat up to 425F.
- Roll out the pizza crust dough and cut into 12 pieces.
- Add half a mozzarella stick and a spoonful of pizza beans. Roll up the dough and pinch the ends closed.
- In a bowl combine the butter, garlic powder, and parsley. Brush it over the top of each pizza roll.
- Put the pizza rolls onto a tray sprayed with cooking spray, and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve warm pizza rolls with additional marinara sauce for dipping.
You can make as many pizza rolls as you want with this recipe, but we divided it to enjoy half of it as pizza rolls, the other half we had in a bowl topped with shredded mozzarella.