8 Valentine-themed Learning Activities for Children –
- Predicting how many hearts are in the box
- Identify how many tens & ones in the estimation number & actual number
- Sorting by color & phrase
- Graphing the results for number of each color
- Creating word problems & algebraic equations using the numbers of colors of hearts (How many green and orange hearts do you have? If you have 3 green hearts and you need a total of 7, how many more do you need…3 + x = 7)
- Identify greater than/less than using colors
- Use an internet site to create a pie graph showing different colors & discuss different types of graphs
2. Red Hot Area & Perimeter:
- using large version of graphing paper, Mom will draw hearts & we will use Red Hot candies to find the area & perimeter of different hearts
3. Broken Hearts Addition:
- Play a matching game using broken hearts – use this for addition facts
4. Play Heart Bingo
5. Play Hershey Kisses Battleship:
- Using a 10 x 10 grid, we will label the x-axis with letters and the y-axis with numbers. We’ll place a few Kisses on our grid and will play Battleship.
- This will help teach map reading skills, along with graphing skills and how to read the x-axis and y-axis of a graph or map.
- If you find the Kiss, you get to take it & eat it!
- Reese will have to follow my clues (Place a heart shape on the number that is equal to two tens. Place a heart shape on the number that is 10 more than 36. etc) in order to solve the puzzle, which ends with a picture.
- By reading the clues (I have a two in the thousands place. I have a five in the ones place, etc) we’ll find the chocolate with the correct number and glue it into place. As an extension, all even numbered chocolates will be colored dark brown and all odd numbered chocolates will be colored light brown.
- We’ll shape pipe cleaners into heart shapes & suspend the shape into a large jar by a pencil.
- The Borax solution will crystallize on the pipe cleaner.
- We’ll talk about the science behind our work.
- The Borax dissolves in warm water but when the water cools, the molecules of Borax crystallize 0ut of the solution and stick to the pipe cleaner.
- We’ll use our hand-held microscope to view the crystals.