I remember theÂ beginning sewing projects that I madeÂ as a kid.
My stitches were far apart and uneven, but I sewed pillowcase after pillowcase by hand and I LOVED it! Â There was something extremely gratifying about sewing my own project. Â As an adult, it’s taken me years to learn how to use a sewing machine, but each time I do,Â I remember so many fond memories of my Grandmothers. Â It’s a skill that I’m thrilled to pass down to my daughter. Â That’s why I was so excited about thisÂ simple (and cheap) beginning sewing project for my preschooler ~ it’s such a great way to practice the art of sewing by hand!
I haven’t tried making any sewing cards for my daughter because they seemed expensive to make. Â But, when I was at my local craft store, I saw small burlap bags for sale ($.79 each!) and I thought of a way to make some quick sewing cards that were economical, too!
Materials for Beginning Sewing Projects
- Burplap (try to find small bags on sale that you can cut up to use!)
- 2 Paper Plates
- Darning needleÂ <–affiliate link ~ in case you aren’t sure what these are 🙂
How to Make Easy Sewing Cards
- Take two paper plates and cut out the center of the plates with any shape you’d like (we did a heart and a circle). Â Be sure to leave enough space to staple the paper plates together.
- Cut your piece of burlap to fit in between the two paper plates. Â If you have a bag, cut along the seams of the bags and then cut the piece of burlap that you need.
- Tape the burlap on the inside of one of the plates. Â Make sure the burlap is tight so that it will be easier for kids to sew.
- Sandwich the burlap inside of the paper plates by stackingÂ the second paper plate underneath the first.
- Line up the shapes and then staple around the edge of the plates. Â Be sure to staple where you will staple theÂ burlap, too!
- Add your thread with aÂ darning needle and you’re ready to sew!
Kids will love getting the chance to practice sewing with these simple cards.
Use these sewing cards as a busy bag during quiet time play or for long road trips!