Do you have a little one who loves to play house?
I was wandering about a toy store last Christmas trying to decide on a gift for my daughter Sarah (2.5yrs). She is still at the wonderful age where I can take her along to the toy store and she is none the wiser.
On this particular occasion, as I picked up this and that I noticed that Sarah had spent the entire time playing with a dollhouse. As she chatted away, she put little people to bed and others took baths. Her sweet reenactments of our daily lives very quickly helped me decide on a gift. Sarah plays with her dollhouse everyday. Taking care of ‘her kids’ is her favourite game.
Now a dollhouse just simply wouldn’t be complete without furniture. These tiny chairs and tables are beautiful in their simplicity. They take next to no time to make and are free; being made from beautifully textured branches.
How to make dollhouse furniture
- some branches – at least wide enough to fit your child’s little dolls
- a saw
- a chisel
- a hammer
- some sandpaper
How to make a chair:
- using the saw, make a cut where you would like the top of your chair seat
- cut about 2/3 of the way through the branch – this will be your seat
- make a series of cuts up the branch
- using the chisel and hammer, gently chisel out the cuts – this will be the back of your chair
- give your little one some sandpaper and have them help you sand the chair smooth
How to make a stool:
- simply cut your branch to the height you want for the stool
- sand your stool
How to make a table:
- using a thicker branch simply cut a thick slice to make a table
- use the sandpaper to smooth
Once you’ve made your first set, your mind will be buzzing with ideas for making new additions. You could make:
- a little bed from a long thin slice
- or use some twine and some smaller branches to make a clothes line
- add a fabric scrap for a rug
- some upturned acorn caps for bowls and some little wood chips for plates
Buzzing with ideas.
And if you have older children, this would be a wonderful project for them to take creative control over as they fill their dollhouse with beautiful, natural furniture.Powered by Sidelines