I’m such a fan of exposing my kids to different foods, especially if it’s one of my favorite dishes. I love quiche and I knew my kids would enjoy exploring the flavors in this Kids First Quiche recipe.
This recipe is perfect for kids. It’s not overly sophisticated for their palette — it’s just right.
What I love about quiche is that it’s not just for breakfast. It can be served with a salad or vegetables for dinner too.
Because this is so basic, it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients.
Kids First Quiche
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Half-and-Half
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 9-inch Piecrust
- 6 ounces Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Follow instructions on 9-inch refrigerated piecrust (mine called for pre-heating in oven before filling)
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat
- Add onions and sprinkle with a pinch of salt & pepper — cook until translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Stir in parsley
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the grated Gruyere cheese and onion/parsley mixture and stir together
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared piecrust
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let stand for 5 minutes
Before you start the cooking, pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. If you are using a store-bought pie crust, like I did, read instructions just in case you need to pre-cook the piecrust.
In a saucepan, heat up the olive oil. Add the chopped onions and a pinch of salt & pepper and cook until translucent…this takes about 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the parsley.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Add the grated Gruyere cheese and onion/parsley mixture and combine. Do not whisk this — use a spoon and mix carefully.
Pour the combined mixture into your piecrust.
Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You will know it’s ready when the toothpick you use to test it comes out clean.
Let cool for about 5 minutes before you slice it.
It will be much easier to cut into if you let it sit.
Serve by itself or with some mixed greens.
It makes a complete meal for breakfast or any other time of the day.
This is a great opportunity to expose your kiddos to something new!