I’m always on the lookout for a slow-cooker recipe that I can prepare all day. When I found out about this Bean Bake recipe of my Mother In Law’s I had to try it. She used to make this for the County Fair and camp outs with the Boy Scouts.
I love that this Bean Bake can be used as a meal or a side dish!
This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but only a few steps! And it’s a good excuse to use your crock pot!
Here’s how this recipe is created:
- 4 strips of Bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 oz) Pork & Beans
- 1 can (15 oz) Green Lima Beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) Butter Beans, drained
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Dry Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/1 teaspoon Pepper
- Cook and chop up bacon
- Chop medium size onion
- In a crock pot add 2 cans of pork & beans
- Drain the green lima beans, red kidney beans and butter beans — add to crock pot
- Add bacon and onion to beans in crock pot
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, salt & pepper to crock pot
- Mix together
- Bake on low for 3 hours or until the onion has softened
**You can also add 1 1/2 pounds of cooked ground Hamburger meat to the crock pot for a complete meal
Here’s what this recipe looks like.
After you prepare the bacon and onion, you want to start with the beans. You will only drain the green lima beans, red kidney beans and butter beans. You want the sauce from the pork & beans for flavor.
Next add the onion and bacon to the crock pot.
Then the ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, vinegar, salt & pepper.
Mix everything together. Then bake on low for 3-3 1/2 hours until the onion is soft.
Your yummy Bean Bake will look like this when it’s done.
It finishes very much like a stew or chili with all the flavors coming together. Serve it with a potato or salad.
Or add cooked hamburger meat for a new version of your chili recipe.