I love how easy these soft pretzels are to make and that my kids can help, too. These take less than 30 minutes to whip up.
Mix it up and create different shapes, we like to make the pretzels in the shapes of the letters of their name for fun.
Homemade Soft Pretzels
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 cups of flour, coarse salt
- 10 cups of water
- 10 Tablespoons of baking soda
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix yeast and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and flour to yeast mixture and stir until thick. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough becomes elastic.
- Pinch off golf ball sized pieces and this is where some little hands can have some fun!
- Roll each piece into a snake shape and twist into pretzel shapes (or have some fun and make your own unique shapes).
- Bring water and baking soda to a boil.
- Carefully pop pretzels into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Once out of the water bath, move to a baking sheet and season with salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.
The result is a delicious homemade soft pretzel everyone will love.