A few weeks ago I had the great fun of going to the Viking Cooking School in Dallas for a Sneaky Chef cooking demonstration with Uncle Ben’s Rice.
We were separated into groups and lead through four Sneaky Chef recipes that used Uncle Ben’s new WHOLE GRAIN white rice.
Whole grain WHITE rice.
My favorite recipe was Pizza Rice Balls.
I have made it twice since the event. That is a pretty good testimony to its easy-ness and yummy-ness.
Pizza Rice Balls by The Sneaky Chef:
2 c Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain White Rice Sweet Tomato (I have also used the plain Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain White Rice and added additional spices)
2 T of Sneaky Chef orange colored puree* or orange colored baby food
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 t dried oregano or basil
1 T tomato paste
1/4 c wheat germ or oat bran, divided
Marinara sauce – optional for serving
*Sneaky Chef orange colored puree – 1 whole medium sweet potato or yam, peeled and coarsely chopped + 3 whole medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thick chunks: drain the carrots and sweet potatoes and put them in a food processor with two tablespoons of water. Puree on high until smooth – no pieces of vegetables showing. Stop occasionally to push the contents to the bottom. If necessary, use another tablespoon of water to smooth out the puree, but the less water, the better.
- Prepare the Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain White Rice Sweet Tomato as instructed on the box.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and generously spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prepare the Sneaky Chef orange puree.
- Whisk together the egg, 1/4 c of the Parmesean cheese, the spices, tomato paste, 2 T orange puree and 2 T of the oat bran or wheat germ.
- Add cooked rice and mix well.
- Pour remaining Parmesan and oat bran/wheat germ onto a plate and set aside.
- Using damp hands, pinch off about 1 T of the rice mixture and shape into small balls. Roll each ball in the oat bran/wheat germ and Parmesan mixture, coating fully.
- Gently place the rice balls on the prepared sheet; generously spray the tops of the balls with more cooking spray, and bake for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula to loosen, turn the rice balls over, and then return them to the oven for another 5 minutes to brown on the other side.
- Serve with salt and pepper as a handheld side dish or dip in marinara sauce (you can sneak a little more orange colored puree into the marinara sauce!).
Here Laurie and Amy demonstrate that this recipe WILL get stuck to your hands.
Work through the messy hands because…
…it will totally be worth it.
Thanks Uncle Ben’s!
Now please excuse me, I have dishes to do.
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain White Rice and received the product necessary to facilitate my candid review. In addition, I received a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.