Do you remember doing paper mache when you were little?
My sisters and I used to make different kinds of masks and create elaborate drama productions for our parents.
We loved it.
This was our first time working with paper mache together and it was oh so much fun. Instead of using a balloon, we used a bowl. A bowl is nice and stable for small hands.
Paper Mache for Kids
How to make a paper mache bowl:
- grab yourself a small bowl – plastic is best. If you don’t have a plastic one, you can use a metal or ceramic bowl, just slide a layer of plastic wrap over it first
- tear the newspaper into strips
- make up a mix of paper mache paste – 1:1 flour and water
- dip the newspaper into the paste and layer over the bowl
- you’ll want a few layers – the more the better. We made about 5 layers
- leave to dry overnight
- gently press out the bowl – if you have a plastic bowl, just give it a bit of a squeeze and it will pop out
- paint and decorate – we painted ours white and added some blue tissue paper
Maybe next time we’ll make an animal mask just like I used to when I was a child.