My kids are still young which makes going out on dates with my husband a lot more challenging. Just like planning for a vacation, planning a date night takes twice as much energy and well, planning. After a long day of taking care of the kiddos and working, that energy is drained out of me and I just want to cuddle up on my couch. But dating my husband is so important to me because it’s what gives us that one-on-one time that would normally be interrupted by dirty diapers and LEGO’s being thrown across the room (if you have a toddler you know this all too well). So today we are partnering with Breyers Gelato Indulgences to share with you How to Date Your Spouse When Your Kids Are Young.
Having children brings more responsibility. That responsibility takes up more of our time and in return we forget to have time for ourselves or our spouses. So I have a few tips on How to Date Your Spouse Even When Your Kids Are Young and when they require most of your time and energy.
Tips for Dating Your Spouse with Young Kids Around
- Schedule a weekly date night. Choosing a day and scheduling it on your calendar every week ensures you are getting that time with your spouse. It’s just like scheduling a doctor appointment or family event. Once it’s scheduled make sure it happens.
- Put the kids to bed early. In our house we like to put the kids to bed early on date night. Why? Well because if we don’t we are exhausted by the time we normally put them in bed. So they go to bed a little early once a week and we get to spend time together without being half asleep (can you say, zombies?).
- Choose an activity that can be done together. Reading a book in silence is tempting when the kids are asleep but it’s not the ideal way to spend time together as a couple. So choose an activity that requires both of you to participate. Need an idea? Here are 10 at-home date night ideas that are inexpensive to do together.
- Indulge a little (or a lot). It’s great that you want to lose weight or eat healthier but on date night, it’s time for indulging. Forget the scale and the counting calories and just enjoy time with each other. Order take-out from your favorite restaurant, pick up some Breyer’s Gelato Indulgences, and say yes to that extra buttery popcorn.
- Allow older kids to tend to the younger ones. If putting the kids to bed isn’t an option, allow your older children to babysit the younger ones. It gives them responsibility and you the free time you need. Even turn it into a job and let the older kids get paid. It is a win-win for everyone.
- Involve kids if needed. Sometimes no matter how hard we try, it’s impossible to have a second to ourselves. If that is the case with you, still date your spouse and involve the kids. Make a date night that is fun for the entire family. To make up for that missed “alone time” you can give more hugs, winks and kisses than usual (of course expect some ew’s from the kids). Having a date involving the family is better than not having one at all.
Indulging is the sweetest thing you can do for your spouse.
As I mentioned, date night should be fun and worry free and indulging is the way to go. I like to use date night as our “cheat night” where we can eat what we want and enjoy it without the guilt. Then we are back at eating healthy the rest of the week. One of my favorite ways to indulge is with Breyers Gelato Indulgences. It’s creamy, smooth, and just feels so gourmet!
Plus there are 8 different flavors to choose from: Breyers Gelato Indulgences Vanilla Caramel, Breyers Gelato Indulgences Raspberry Cheesecake, Breyers Gelato Indulgences Tiramisu, Breyers Gelato Indulgences Triple Chocolate, Cappuccino, Breyers Gelato Indulgences Strawberry Truffle, Breyers Gelato Indulgences Mint Chocolate (my personal favorite) and Breyers Gelato Indulgences Chocolate Caramel. That means there is a flavor to suite your taste and craving.
Breyers Gelato Indulgences is available in grocery stores nationwide in a 28.5 oz clear tub, showcasing the gelato with its luscious sauce and gourmet toppings, and retails for a suggested prize of $4.49-$5.99.