Here is another snack menu idea from Brittany…
Grapefruit is one of my favorite fruits!
Sister, to the tasty orange, grapefruit also contains a high dose of vitamin C – over 75% of the recommended daily value in one half!
If you are not familiar with grapefruit, let me give you some helpful handling tips:
1. Unlike an orange, you don’t want to peel a grapefruit. Instead, cut the grapefruit in half horizontally.
2. When preparing a grapefruit, you’ll want to use a serrated knife to cut around rim of the grapefruit to separate the rind from the fruit itself. You’ll also notice that each grapefruit half has about 11-14 segments, with thin dividing walls. Be sure that you cut on both sides of each wall, making it easier to scoop out and eat.
Although grapefruit is really great at room temperature, I also like it baked with cinnamon and Splenda… Mmmm!
1 large grapefruit
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 packet of Splenda
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. While oven is preheating, prepare your grapefruit* (see #2 under helpful handling tips).
3. Sprinkle each grapefruit half with cinnamon and Splenda.
4. Put the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until they start to brown on top.
5. Transfer to serving plates and let cool for 2 minutes.
Note from Holly: I haven’t had a chance to try this one yet, but it sounds great to me. I have a strong suspicion that 1/3 of my boys will agree – I will let you know the verdict!
Tune in to June Cleaver Nirvana on Saturday and Sunday for healthy snack ideas.