Today we are featuring a grocery store scavenger hunt for a good cause – Feeding America.
There are hungry children in America and that is NOT OK. That is one of the reasons why I have loved working with ConAgra on their Child Hunger Ends Here mission over the last few years.
By entering the code on ConAgra foods marked with the red “Child Hunger Ends Here” pushpin, you will provide one meal to a child this summer. For every code entered by 8/31/13, ConAgra Foods will donate the monetary equivalent of one meal to Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization.
Codes can be entered RIGHT here at Kids Activities Blog —–> see the box in the lower right sidebar to enter!
A grocery store scavenger hunt for kids can help occupy kids on a fun grocery store scavenger hunt that results in hungry children receiving meals.
Child Hunger Ends Here
The Summer Child Hunger Problem:
During the school year, 21.5 million children rely on free or reduced-price meals to help them keep from going hungry. When school is out, only 2.3 million children participate in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). This means there are millions of children at an increased risk of hunger during the summer.
Did you realize this issue was so BIG? Please take this quick survey on child hunger.
Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt
Get your kids involved in this issue through a fun grocery store hunting game, but first let’s start at home!
Hint for mom and dad: The 19 participating ConAgra Foods brands are – Banquet, Healthy Choice, Peter Pan, Orville Redenbacher, Marie Callender’s, Chef Boyardee, Hunt’s, Snack Pack, Wolf Brand Chili, Rosarita, Manwich, VanCamp’s, Kid Cuisine, Blue Bonnet, Reddi Wip, Crunch ‘n Munch, Egg Beaters, Pam, and Ultragrain.
- Show kids the red Child Hunger Ends Here pushpin and talk about how child hunger affects children in your neighborhood.
- Send them to your pantry and freezer and see if they can find any foods that contain the red pushpin.
- Come to Kids Activities Blog right lower sidebar or Child Hunger website and have them read off the code while you enter it.
Now it is time to head for the store. You can use the time in the car to talk about what it would be like to not have the money to buy lunch or how awful it would be to worry about your next meal. Kids are innately sympathetic and will take this very seriously.
- On each aisle you visit in the store, have kids try to find all the red pushpin foods in the area.
- If the food item is on the list, it goes in the cart and the person who found it gets to enter to code once you get home.
- Codes can be entered in the right sidebar here at Kids Activities Blog or on the Child Hunger Ends Here website.
Be Triply Helpful to Your Local Food Bank
- Entering food codes will help Feeding America sites all over the country – even in your neighborhood.
- Add your zip code and your local Feeding America food bank into a competition for an 80,000-meal donation!
- Create a donation box to take to your local food bank that has all red pushpin marked foods, enter the codes before you make the donation and not only will each code trigger a meal to a child, but your donation will help kids in your community as well.
More Help for Hungry Kids
Three artists are lifting their voices to help end child hunger in America. They are Cody Simpson, Tori Kelly, and Amber Riley. Each has a song download on the Child Hunger Ends Here website to help the cause as part of Voices of Hope.
Enter the Code!
The bottom line is that kids are hungry and this is a VERY easy way you can help and your kids can too.
Thank you so much to ConAgra Foods for the Child Hunger Ends Here program and sponsoring this post. We love being involved in this mission to end child hunger.