This classic craft has been around for years. It’s one that has stood the test of time, even if it has changed or evolved over time. Paper bag puppets are easy to make and really fun for kids to play with. Whether it’s just markers you create your puppets with or you decorate with yarn, paper and buttons, they’re a great project any time.
Making Classic Paper Bag Puppets
Paper bag puppets are perfect for pretend play. Kids can play by themselves, with a friend or sibling or even with a group of friends.
They can host their very own puppet show and all you need to start with is a simple paper bag.
You will need:
- Paper lunch bag
- Construction paper and/or scrapbook paper
- Googly eyes
- Pom pom
- Tools: glue stick, scissors and white craft glue
Making the faces is the fun part! Let your kids use glue and yarn to create hair. They can make pig tails by tying several yarn strands together with a piece of ribbon. Cheeks can be make using markers or pink crayon, I ™ve used circles I cut from pink construction paper. Medium pom poms make great noses, and googly eyes will finish off the face. Look for the googly eyes with lashes for girl puppets!
Dressing them up is just as fun as giving their face some character. Use scrapbook paper to create simple clothes, ribbon makes great collar trim! Once the clothes are glued in place, trim off the excess, being careful not to cut the bag.
Boys might like this spiked hair cut. Simply cut yarn into short strands and glue to the top of the bag. Remember, decorating is part of the fun, so let them have a ball!
If you like making puppets from bags, try my paper bag frog puppet with the kids!
OTHER ACTIVITIES KIDS LOVE:
- Check out our favorite halloween games.
- You will love playing these 50 science games for kids!
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- 5 minute crafts solve boredom every time.
- These fun facts for kids are sure to impress.
- Join one of your kids’ favorite authors or illustrators for online story time!
- Throw a unicorn party… because why not? These ideas are so fun!
- Learn how to make a compass.
- Create an Ash Ketchum costume for play pretend!
- Kids love unicorn slime.