With the weather finally cooling my kids and I are having a blast playing outside! That said, there are times when I have to encourage them to stay outside. Making something similar to this Indoor Boredom Buster Dice, we created a dice full of activities they can do outside. Whenever they complain, “Mom, but I don’t want to ride my scooter – I wanna come inside.” We roll the dice and see what fun activity we get to do together.
Here are just a few of the activities the kids and I thought of to put on our outside dice. Do you have any ideas to add? Let me know in the comments!
- Go on a Nature Hunt. – Can you find 10 living and 10 non-living things?
- Race, play Red Light, Green Light or do Basketball suicides. We have even played fetch, where I throw a ball or another toy and the kids race to see who can get it first.
- Make a mini-pool out of a tupperware tub. This is by far one of their favorite activities. We’ll fill a shallow tub with water and as it is Spring and too cool for true swimming, the kids get to practice pouring and dumping all with minimum mess/wetness.
- Make and play with Moon Sand. Another favorite activity we use with a tupperware tub to help contain the spread of the sand.
- Decorate your sidewalks with chalk or sidewalk paint. We love playing with chalk and have even created our very own sidewalk paint recipe!
- Weed the lawn or water the grass. You can use a sprinkler if the weather is balmy, if not give the kids watering cans. Mine enjoy walking around the lawn dumping their water.
- Find and feed the wildlife in your own backyard. That stale bread is good for birds, but also for the bugs! How many different bugs can you find?
- Make mud cakes. Another favorite activity. We actually have mud clothes set aside for just this activity.
- Fly a kite (or a plastic bag). Kites are great, but plastic bags fly more easily and with less wind. I need to make a video of this one of these days!
- Make plant rubbings. Have grass clippings? You have art!