Summertime is just around the corner. Is your family talking about a vacation?
If so, here are some tips for making the most of your family vacation this summer!
- Ask each person in the family what they would like to do. Even if it is something as simple as walking on the beach, asking each person what is important to them invites them to share in the experience and allows them to feel a part of something bigger.
- Make a budget and stick to it. Your mental vacation will not last very long if you have to return to a mountain of bills. Plan ahead for what will be spent and why. Pay as much in advance as possible, and don't forget to budget spending money for souvenirs.
- Plan activities for all ages. It is no fun to get left out “ at any age. Make sure each member of the family has things to do that will help them relax and have some fun! If your children are very small, packing some of their favorite activities will keep them happily occupied.
- Plan downtime. Every minute of each day does not need to be scheduled. Vacations are to be enjoyed, and relaxation is a must. Make sure your schedule includes some unscheduled time!
- Keep food and snacks healthy. As tempting as it may be, eating fast food while on the go will only slow everyone down. Keep those fruits and veggies fresh and handy. Everyone will feel better and their energy will last longer!
- Document the trip! One of the best ways to keep a vacation alive is through pictures and memorabilia. Encourage each family member to write about their favorite day during the vacation. Use this when putting a memory book together full of pics, stories, brochures, ticket stubs, etc.